rj45/rj11

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When connecting bt431a plug onto cat5e, terminating into a rj45 socket,then rj45 plug to rj11 plug do the connections 2,3,4 and 5 stay the same throughout? Hope it makes sense :cry:

Sponsored Links
It might be the Bardolino but you've lost me :confused:

What are you trying to do?

House is wired throughout with cat5e. Will eventually be all terminated in data panel. Having sky+ installed which needs a telephone line. There is a rj45 socket where sky+ is to be installed.

So to get phone line to sky box i need above connections in which i'm making leads myself :confused:

Sponsored Links
it only needs a phone line if you want something. i.e interactive, pay / per view.

I unplugged my phone line to sky when i went on holiday, forgot about it when i came back, sky still works. that was 2 years ago

I know i done same with sky in old house, just need it for installation, could just lash up a temp extension socket, but there it would stay!!

Just interested now how to do above.

The phone line is needed if you have a second subscription as it dials out regularly to confirm both subscriptions remain at the same address (phone number).

You can use what ever pairs in the cat5 you like - If you are making the leads yourself, you can choose.

You only need to use one pair for the box, and this will be on the outer pins of the BT style plug. Put these onto, say, 4+5 of the RJ45.

To make the RJ45 to RJ11, take the RJ45 4+5 pins to the RJ11 - which two pins on the RJ11 alters from device to device, but will either be the inter two, or the outer two. Take a look at the RJ11 socket - it may only have two 'pins' on show.

To test the connection, go to services, setup, and system test.

Lectrician said:
The phone line is needed if you have a second subscription as it dials out regularly to confirm both subscriptions remain at the same address (phone number).
Indeed. We had a couple of threatening letters from Sky recently, cos neither box was plugged into a broadband filter, so neither could dial out, and I unpluged one, cos it was interfering with the broadband, it kept cutting me off the net, the cheek. Couple of filter/extension alterations, and eveythings fine again. They also dial out to tell Sky when you've purchased a box office movie or event, if i remember correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back