RNLI buys burkinis for Africans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Donations are being spent on swimsuits for devout Muslim women in Tanzania

Andrew Bridgen, a Tory MP, told The Times: 'It is the Royal National Lifeboat Institution, not the Royal International Lifeboat Institution.'

Tory MP Nigel Evans, who sits on the Commons International Development Committee, said: 'The fact the RNLI are cutting staff in the UK but boosting spending on these international projects begs the question of what the priority of the organisation is?

In 2016, the charity announced it was providing training to Greek, German, Dutch and Swedish organisations to help save migrants crossing from Turkey to Greece

When I give money to the RNLI I dont want them saving people from drowning in other countries. It is afterall, a Great British institution.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7464961/How-3-3million-donations-RNLI-spent-abroad.html

;)

Sponsored Links
OMG! Hang on, there's more. There are other British charities doing the same!! This is OUTRAGEOUS!
Oxfam, Christian Aid, The Red Cross - they're all at it! Helping people in other counties with OUR money!
Although, they also receive donations from overseas too ...

LEPRA, too.

And British scientists working on Malaria treatments. What concern are they of ours?

Sponsored Links
Some people would probably like to see Red Nose Day and Sport Relief made UK only.

Live AID? Nah, let 'em starve. If they can't be bothered to leave their country to find food elsewhere, they don't deserve to be fed! Oh, hang on ...

I would refer the honourable gentleman to the name of the charity in question.

'Oxfam' comes from the Oxford Committee for Famine Relief. So they should only work in Oxford?

British Red Cross? Should they only drop food parcels in impoverished parts of the UK?

'Oxfam' comes from the Oxford Committee for Famine Relief. So they should only work in Oxford?
No, they can relieve famine wherever it is - as most people realise.

British Red Cross? Should they only drop food parcels in impoverished parts of the UK?
Not sure. Are there not other National Red Crosses and an International Committee of the Red Cross?

Please tell us what connection The Royal National Lifeboat Institution has with supplying swimsuits.

Please tell us what connection The Royal National Lifeboat Institution has with...

saving lives, for example, by reducing obstacles which prevent people learning to swim.

It's a funny thing, that an anti-foreigner newspaper mentions something unpopular with people who don't like foreigners, and doesn't say what's spent on it, but says the total "includes" it.

The annual budget of the RNLI is £147.7 million.
Approximately £405,000 per day

No wonder the Wail didn't want to put a figure on the price of swimsuits.

Is the Wail happy that by outraging racists it can cut the income of the RNLI?

Do they help British people learn to swim while fully dressed or buy ordinary bikinis for British women?

I don't know. Do you? I would guess that subsidised bikinis are very improbable.

They do attempt to prevent loss of live by offering information, warnings and training. I don't think you have to show your passport.

Is "preventing loss of life" a worthwhile activity?

Should they assist foreign sailors on British boats? Or British sailors on foreign boats? Or foreign sailors on foreign boats? Or throw them back in the water? Would a commonwealth citizen qualify for assistance?

I don't know. Do you? I would guess that subsidised bikinis are very improbable.
There you go, then.

They do attempt to prevent loss of live by offering information, warnings and training. I don't think you have to show your passport.
Is "preventing loss of life" a worthwhile activity?
Should they assist foreign sailors on British boats? Or British sailors on foreign boats? Or foreign sailors on foreign boats? Or throw them back in the water? Would a commonwealth citizen qualify for assistance?
Exactly the point. In National waters they naturally will rescue anyone.

Do you suggest that the RNLI should have stations all around the world?

Please tell us what connection The Royal National Lifeboat Institution has with supplying swimsuits.

Maybe they supplied swim suits to people who wanted to swim in the sea, but kept going in fully clothed and getting into trouble? Without knowing, it's impossible to say, and claiming that a charity has done something wrong when you have no idea why they did what the Daily Mail claims they did, makes no sense at all.

Maybe they supplied swim suits to people who wanted to swim in the sea, but kept going in fully clothed and getting into trouble?
They are not doing that, are they?

Without knowing, it's impossible to say, and claiming that a charity has done something wrong when you have no idea why they did what the Daily Mail claims they did, makes no sense at all.
Stop arguing about it, then.

Sponsored Links
Back