Road surface (foothpath) water draing on my land

VJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
I just came across this forum & joined
I am in salford area
Over the years the council had surfaced the Road slopping to my land.
On top footpath slopes down towards my (business) property bringing all the muck from the road to my yard
I am struggling with the highway and they cant see the sense
Recent rain brought the water in the building through the emergency exit
Any Advice other than going to the court.
Council can drag this on as they are spending 'our' money so council has nothing to lose
VJ :( [/img]

Sponsored Links
Take them to court I say, or at least put it in the hands of a Solicitor; if you created a driveway, they would now require you to deal with the drainage from that, i.e. they would not allow you to direct that drainage onto the highway.

Going legal is an option, but as the Council has deep pockets they could give you the run around and cost you a lot of money.
Councils tend to be a nightmare to deal with for the uninitiated, it's often difficult to get to speak to anybody with any real decision making power. If you make enough noise your complaint will eventually find the right set of ears. My suggestion is write to your ward councillors all of them regardless of which political affiliation- it is their job to help you, also write to the director of the relevant department. When writing be clear on what the issue is and be clear on what resolution you want. If you state in your letter that it is a formal complaint it will be dealt with via their formal complaints procedure, this can be found on the website. Formal complaints are dealt with by senior officers.
You could also send a copy of your letter to your local MP, who will have a case worker who will raise the issue at a senior level at the council.
You will be surprised what councils can and will do if enough pressure can be applied. I speak with 15 years experience of dealing with Councils and other Government agencies.

Sponsored Links
Phone them up and tell them that you fell over due to water on the pathway.

No fee no win???

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back