Roller first? Or cut in first?

mkb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So guys ( and gals ).
When I paint my lounge which is the correct order of painting ? Two different deccies use a different process. One rollers the room first and then cuts in....and the other always cuts in first !!! Which is the correct way to go and why ? Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Hi Zampa. You're sure about that then aren't you! But why is it wrong to do it the other way round and what could be the pitfalls?

if you brush after you've rollered, the brush mark will be visible against the roller texture.

If you roller on top of the brushed paint, the texture will blend in.

Sponsored Links
John and zampa are right. You can do it the other way but it's not quite as good.

Never could understand why they roller first.. They must have picked it up from that diy show ? Best I saw was a bloke doing his hall/landing/stairs, (Iwas doing his ouside) He got his pole and rolled the highest walls then stood there scratching his head to figure our how to lean his ladder against a wet wall to to reach the cutting in bits, erm :rolleyes: :LOL:

Hey guys, just bringing this post back to life as I'm a bit baffled by this concept. :confused:

So if I'm painting a ceiling, say, white and the walls blue are you suggesting that I do the edges first? As I'm a novice this needs some clarity just. So I would paint the ceilings edges white then do the top of the wall were it meets the ceiling blue then fire away with the rollering bit?

bosso,

cut in the ceiling (white)
roller the ceiling (white)
cut in the walls (blue)
roller the walls (blue)

if you do the ceiling first, then any splatter is hidden by your later blue

if you do the walls first, and splatter from the white ceiling will show up on your walls

toodle pip

It's amazing how sometimes I require things to be explained to me like a child :confused: weird.

Thanks for clearing that up mate it does make a lot of sense.

Is there any special tool you can get to aid with the cutting in apart from a steady hand?

you can steady your hand with a padded stick against the wall

this is a signwriter's trick

I find it helps to move the brush across the wall with a decisive sweeping action.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back