roof and soffit repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi;

I am having my roof re-tiled and have some questions / concerns, some of which have been pointed out to me by an ex roofer (retired) who live nearby. I would like some independent advice on before I speak to the roofer again.

I originally ask for facia boards to be replaced but due to cross wires they are being capped, whilst this is fine it means that some brickwork under (top 2 -3 courses) the facias that should have been re-pointed has now been missed.

Here is a pic of some of the brickwork before it was covered:

bbET1mT.jpg

gUMDgTt.jpg

This has now been covered with a facia / soffit without being re-pointed, as seen in the pic below. The missing mortar is just visible where the facia butts up against the wall.
vVh9jcx.jpg

Also the facia on the rear of the property is rotten on top along its length and this was capped as is. After pointing this out part of it has now been replaced with what looks like untreated pine timber.

XUjExR9.jpg

I was originally told that they didn't replace the facia because only the top 20mm was damaged. Once it was removed at my request (albeit only partially) the true extent was noted.

Ejls76S.jpg

An area where a flat roof has been left but the rotted area treated with hardener. I would have preferred replacement but was advised that removing the felt where it covers the facia was too much of a job.

XslVFbB.jpg

9oiv5Pa.jpg
jeN26kh.jpg

The quote mentioned treatment of all timbers. This does not appear to have been done and although I have been told twice now that it will they have already batten and insulated under the rafters and will somehow treated later if it hasn't been done??

On the inside of the roof they have fitted Actis Hybrid Silver / Poly insulation which appears to have no air gap in many places - is this OK. On top of this they are fitting 6mm ply 1200 x 2400 sheets. Does it need a vapour barrier between the insulation and the ply, are these thick enough to prevent sagging

Soffits have been fitted but do not butt up against the wall, here is a shot of the soffit under the window. The original eves where angled but the roofer has added a batten (pink) to make the soffit horizontal - is this OK?

QAaySOY.jpg

This is a terraced house and where it meets the next property instead of knitting in they have cut a straight line and I assume waterproofed underneath. They have not installed a Lead Soaker as some do? Will this cause an issue?

GfZF9cN.jpg

On the inside on the adjoining wall where they removed the roof they have left holes into next doors roof space. Apparently this is unavoidable when replacing a roof. They have not and do not intend to fill the holes in - should they be doing so as part of the work?

CANpZg2.jpg

When cutting in the hips whilst one side is pretty neat this side is far from it.

wFn1Sgv.jpg

Whilst the job is getting done I want to ensure it's up to spec.

Any thoughts

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Soffit wise: so he's put a batten against the wall to make the soffit level. How does that marry up to the house on the left and the right? Have you checked that the windows can fully open.

Sponsored Links
This is a terraced house and where it meets the next property instead of knitting in they have cut a straight line and I assume waterproofed underneath. They have not installed a Lead Soaker as some do? Will this cause an issue?
The fact they do not course with your neighbours slates is because the slates are different size and therefore gauge.
Not a problem if they have a weathering system in place at the join.. I can not see any signs of a soaker or bonding strip. best check.
Slates look like Brazillian, so good job they are hook fixing. that stops all the broken ones falling out.
The hip appears to be missing a batten each side of the hip which is there to fix the cuts to.
what hip system are you having?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back