roof construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can any one tell me were i can view a detaled site showing the desgine of
a timber built edwardian roof with hippes and vallyes. need to see the fixing point on each corner awere of the birds mouth connections each
side but not sure of each corner point. many thanks. :oops:

Sponsored Links
are you referring to the diminishing rafter (jack rafter) splayed cuts, that join the hip rafter?

if you are referring to the hip rafter and how it joins both the wall plate and the ridge board, then i think i understand.

the hip rafter is set at a completely different pitch to the rest of the rafters. it is shallower. therefore the top cut and the birdsmouths cannot be patterned from the regular rafters.

we use trial and error to achieve this cut. just remember though, the distance from the wall plate to the ridge is constant, so try and apply this measurement first and work from there. you will waste less wood. :eek:

Sponsored Links
I think what he is aiming at is that the birdsmouth cut in the side rafters places the weight of the roof in a straight down path rather than pushing outward on the walls (although the joists tie in these rafters anyway).

In the corners there is no birdsmouth cut so the forces are outward (splaying out the walls). Does he mean the small tie-beam which goes at 45 degrees to the hip rafters across the corners? Can't remember what it is called.

BTW one of the best ways to see how older buildings were constructed is to look at photos of war where a house/building has been blown apart. It's like looking at a cutaway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back