Roof Framing/Ridge Beam and strengthened rafters

Joined
17 Jun 2025
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Country
United Kingdom
hey all! Got a problem. Retro fitted a GLULAM ridge beam and glued/screwed 4x2 onto the edge of the current 5x2 rafters. Fitted mini collars above where the GLULAM beam was being sited, using tech screws, not nuts & bolts (used a laser level to keep them the correct height, leaving the 115mm gap for the GLULAM to touch each opposing rafter). The roof has been re covered in natural slate (replacing fibre cement tiles) so the roof weight has tripled. Some of the rafters weren't touching the top of the GLULAM (approximately 5mm) but me and the joiners reckoned the weight of the new roof would settle onto the beam - it hasn't. I have shimmed the gaps using the same C16 timber that I used when strengthening the rafters, by cutting timber wedge shims, gluing them in place. While I'm waiting for my SE to get back to me, anyone out there had a similar experience? I bought a second hand genie lift for this job, the beam is 6m in the air. We got the beam up as high as we could but the roof was built in the 1970's and guess it's difficult to make it perfect when 50 plus years later, some clown like me wants to alter things that are measured in millimetres, when an inch or two was okay back then. Is there a standard practice to rectify this? Before I continue insulating/brander cathedral ceiling I need to address this. Whether I have to replace the C16 shims/wedges (glued but easily removed with a multi-tool), and use hardwood shims or whatever, I guess I'll have to do something. I've seen various solutions talked about, whether to add timber to the sides of the GLULAM Beam (glued/screwed) forced up to touch the underside of the rafters, at this point I'm prepared to do whatever it takes. Anyone seen this particular subject rectified, where the rafters are supposed to sit on top of the ridge beam but there's a few millimetre gap? Thank you
 
A picture or drawing would help
ridge-beam.JPG

The roof is quite large, the rafter ties have been cut, gussets fitted, it spans over 7.4m, heavy roof - CUPA H3's, where the rafter doesn't quite sit on the beam is represented on the drawing. I'm thinking, hardwood shims (replace current C16 shims), or if I have to, glue/screw uprights to the sides of the GLULAM with a 40 degree angle at the top to match the slope and force them up to meet each rafter, or 9x2 glued and screwed (along the top of the GLULAM to widen it. The beam isn't in it's finished state anyway - I don't particularly like the look of GLULAM beams so I'd probably get it cladded anyway
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top