Roof ladders with solar panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got solar panels on my roof which are proving to be a problem with pigeons. I was wanting to get up there and fit some of that hedgehog stuff around them as I've read that's a good deterrent. Problem is they come practically to the edge of the roof each side so I need to go over the panels. Would a standard roof ladder not provide enough clearance to do this?
I believe you can get special ones that do but unfortunately my local hire place don't have them and hasn't heard of them.
Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
@ Bernard - hazardous voltages in a PV panel? Just interested, but what fault/failure mechanism did you have in mind? AFAIK panels work at around 20V and that's open circuit/no load. Have they improved recently?

Or...... maybe micro-inverter types??

Individual panels may produce only 12 -20 volts but some installations connect the panels in series to increase the voltage fed to the inverters and thus get more efficiency. Ten 12 volt panels will create DC voltages of 120 -200 volts. The panels cannot be switched off other than by covering them with black out sheeting. In terms of hazrd to life a shock from DC is more dangerous than a shock from an AC supply of the same voltage. Large installations can have voltages as high as 1000 volts though this is not common is domestic installation.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. Yes I think thats the ladder I had been looking at. Problem is I dont suppose its something that is likely to be available to hire anywhere would you think?
Ive asked a pest control company for a quote but they said they couldnt do it and a roofing guy hasnt got back to me either. Just worried it will be very expensive if anyone will do it.

As it happens an aquaintance has a problem with ridge tiles and a couple of roofers declined the work as it meant they had to get access over his solar panels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back