Roof lantern - external powered shade idea

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We have a 2m x 1m roof lantern in the back of our property that we had fitted with our rear extension. It's great lets in lots of light and looks good BUT .... we have an issue where during summer months flies, bees and even butterflies come in via the patio doors and fly straight up to the roof lantern and get stuck up there. We didn't know art the time but I should have asked for a window opener to be fitted as part of it to help them escape.

Our current solution to get rid of the flies is not hi-tech ... I climb on to the flat roof and drag a dark tarp over the roof lantern so it effectively blacks it out and the critters then wise up fly out the main bifold. We're not interested in killing them so the fly zapper suggestions won't work for us.

I can't keep doing this roof dance as getting on in years and I've been scratching around for ideas to resolve this first world problem. Currently I'm thinking of building some sort of contraption which can sit on the flat roof. Something that has a folded/collapsed canopy and a motor with a 180 degree arm that would lift the canopy up and over the roof lantern ... and of course some way to control this remotely. Solar powered ideally but could consider wiring in somehow if needed.

Do you have any pointers on how to go about researching, designing this sort of project - I'm no master DIYer but I'm happy to give things a go. I think getting a reliable remote motor would be the key thing?

Am I mad? any other suggestions from you all appreciated!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
anything that sits outside could be caught by the wind and suffer weather damage.
What about an internal frame covered with gauze/diffusion material that stops the critters getting into the space?
A simple frame could be timber and held up with magnets.
My conservatory has a frame made from a kit where you fit an extrusion top remade joints for a frame.
Then a mesh is pushed into a pre-made groove and secured with a rubber string.

Ikea sell electric blinds. Maybe one of those as standard or modified to a mesh would run horizontally?

Sponsored Links
A vacuum cleaner with an extension pole!
Our battery operated Shark certainly sucks up the critters and most survive the experience to be let out later! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back