Roof Leak - Help, Panic!

Got any pictures of the inside?

So we can get an idea of the room layout, in relation to the chimney.

Utterly failed to get a shot of the damp, it doesn't show up. All you see is the corner of the room 'cos the the chimney breast is in the next room. The damp patch is on one side of the chimney onwhich forms part of a the flat wall of the room. breast the oother two internal sides are dry. I'll draw a sketch and post it when I get a mo.

I've discovered today that the damp isn't coming from directly above, it's utterly dry there. If te chimney is the leak source the water must be finding it's way through the brickwork itself. I thnk that rules out a leak from where the flashing meets the tiles (although it's still entriely posible its coming in where the flashing meets the bricks.)

Obviously I don't know for sure it's coming in via the chimney but it's interesting that the three patches of damp follow a vertical line on one face of the chimey.

This isn't come at a cood time. I'm pondering some options instead of getting pros in right away for a pukka job:

1) I take a day off work and re-point chinmey as far as the DPC myself. This would be quite safe [1] 'cos I have good access from a flat roof. I might get lucky - that might fix it.

2) As one, but get a mate who's a pro to do it. Problem here is availability.

3) Live with it 'till next year and sort it properly then. It's tolerable as long as it doesn't freeze and take the whole chimney down on my head.

The downside of 1) is that I've never done any work on a roof before and know nothing about it. I weigh 18 stone, will roof tiles even take my weight? I've seen people clamber around on their roofs without doing damage... Is it fairly easy to do so without doing damage?

[1] Well it's an 8ft fall which could still be really nasty.

Sponsored Links
Does you boiler vent up the chimney - that's condensation in the chimney breast - guaranteed. That's why it's dry in the loft.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks everyone. Loads of useful stuff, every word has been noted.

I'm actually starting to wonder if it might be condensation from our breath. We still haven't needed the heating on, and now the big drafty single glazed windows have been replaced there's sure to be more moisture in the room and I guess it might condense on the chimney breast which will have a column of cold air in it. Certainly it's got a sheen of damp in the morning, but not in the evening. None of which is conclusive - it could be dew getting in but it's one more option.

I think before spending any cash I'm going to wait until it next rains and have a good poke around. We'll also ventilate the room better.

I'll report back with the outcome when I know something conclusive.

Once again, I really appreciate all the help.

There should be a vent at the bottom to allow some air to circulate in order to dry up any water ingress etc.... Might be worth fitting something unless you are planning on removing the stack.

There should be a vent at the bottom to allow some air to circulate in order to dry up any water ingress etc.... Might be worth fitting something unless you are planning on removing the stack.

Thanks. When I'm sure about what we're doing with the stack I'll put that on the jobs list.

I've got access to the top of the damp area and I can see the top of the plasterboard is bone dry. So at that point the damp must be coming from the side or below. Everything I can reach in the loft around the chimney is bone dry.

We had a window fitted in that room this week. I'm now starting to wonder if that disturbed something.

Does the fact that you can get access to the top of the plasterboard mean that there is no insulation above it?

Now that there is a well sealed window in there you will have much less ventilation in that room so any cold spots will be more prone to condensation.

Does the fact that you can get access to the top of the plasterboard mean that there is no insulation above it?

Thanks Lower.

There's some pathetic insulation which I folded back to get access. However the corner is right at the end of the insulation at the lowest point of the roof. The tiles are about 6 inches away from the plasterboard ceiling at that point. There's no doubt that the area with the damp is the coldest point in the room. I've got decent insulation waiting to be laid and am boarding the loft between other jobs! :)

Now that there is a well sealed window in there you will have much less ventilation in that room so any cold spots will be more prone to condensation.

It's hard to be sure, but it explains the timing just after the double glazing and it also explains the 'leak' which was first noticed two days after the last rain had occurred. (I appreciate that's not conclusive - the damp could have been there un-noticed for two days, or it could be dew from outside but even so.) It would also explains the absolute dryness above the damp and all round the chimney.

I cracked the window and the damp are didn't have the sheen of wet if has typically had in the morning. Noticeably drier.

Maybe the condensation theory is wishful thinking but we'll see.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back