Roof membrane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just about to start work on my pitched roof as we are adjusting some pipes under it for an en suite. It’s part of a dormer conversion. When we were looking to check the pipe routes it’s clear that the roof membrane has pretty much disintegrated. As part of doing the en-suite I was planning on replacing this. From what I’ve read I’m supposed to use a breathable membrane and I need to staple this to the rafters then batten over the top of it? Not doing the whole roof, only 2.5 metres worth or so. The existing stuff (non breathable membrane) is ok after that.

Looking online it looks as though there are many different options all with vastly different pricing. Budget is a factor and we are doing the house up to resell. So the question is, which membrane should I go for?

I’ve got loads of tyvek house wrap left over. I’m assuming I can’t use that? It’s a breather membrane so sounds like the same sort of thing?

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Klober Permo Forte

Tyvek is a premium brand. Use that. (y)
Its the house wrap stuff i've got though. Feels a bit thin, is it definitely ok on a roof? Assume they have a different product for roofs?

Sponsored Links
Its the house wrap stuff i've got though. Feels a bit thin, is it definitely ok on a roof? Assume they have a different product for roofs?
I'd imagine the house wrap stuff is a bit more exposure (UV, weather etc) tolerant, but pretty much does the same thing.

I'd imagine the house wrap stuff is a bit more exposure (UV, weather etc) tolerant, but pretty much does the same thing.
Thickness of it isn't an issue then? Feels like paper to me so just wary of it tearing if wind is shifting it around too much through the tiles.

You can buy it by the metre on eBay. I prefer Proctor Roofshield but it's £150+ for a full roll.

I'd not use housewrap on the roof, it doesn't feel as substantial and as you say, quite papery (Although I cant tear it!)

As someone else mentioned, eBay sellers do roofing membrane by the metre which could be your best bet. Or ask a roofer for some for a bit of cash.

I'd not use housewrap on the roof, it doesn't feel as substantial and as you say, quite papery (Although I cant tear it!)
Some roof membrane products are like tissue paper. They are thin by design though and this shouldn't put you off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back