Roof pitch less than recommended

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tile manufacturer states "17.5° Minimum pitch"

I have measured degree of slope from the internal rafters using a digital measure. Degree is 16.1.
Also measured using a level, measuring 12" across the rafter and the distance up. This works out to approx 3.5:12

So, I am just over 1 degree short of what is recommended. Would this be a cause for concern?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You could increase the headlap of the tiles but if the manufacturer states 17.5 deg as an absolute minimum then they still won’t guarantee it.

Or swap out your tiles for tiles rated to 15 deg? Or nail firings to the top of the rafters to get to the required pitch?

You should measure the whole rafter length to determine the pitch, not a tiny bit of it with a small level or angle finder.

A degree or fraction of a degree may or may not make much difference, but yes if won't be warrantied and won't pass building control if that applies. You will be reliant on the membrane keeping water out and there could be premature rot of the battens as the underside of the tiles could be wetter for longer.

Sponsored Links
Morning
I measured the rafters and different points to determine the pitch.
I emailed and spoke to Marley who have said as the head lap has been increased there should be minimum issues.
BCO has said that he is happy as it is only off by a degree and that the area of the property is in a low exposure zone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back