Roof questions

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A 'roofer' just knocked on the door to tell me I had big gaps around my ridge tiles, to be fair he is right.

My roof seems to have sagged a little creating holes - a lintel above a door was taken out and everything seems to have spread a little (the fascia's have been pushed out a cm in this area). We had a lintel reinserted but haven't done anything to correct the movement in the roof (I assume this will be big ££).

Separately we have a few small leaks in the roof. We can't see from outside how the water is getting in but much of the roof is missing felt.

I suppose my questions are:
How much of a problem are the gaps around the roof tiles? How much to put right?

Presumably to correct the movement we would need to take the tiles off and reset the beams (from inside the roof you can see the structure has moved quite a bit and doesn't seem to fully contact the wall any more). It appears to have been like this for a while (and from a number of the houses round here is a common problem). Do I need to be worried?

Some photos below, thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
I won't but anything from anyone coming to the door, although this chap was in a marked van and a professional at of business cards.

I'll get some more photos.

I won't but anything from anyone coming to the door, although this chap was in a marked van and a professional at of business cards.

"A professional at of business cards"?

Plenty of people who live in caravans drive marked vans for work. Not that there's anything wrong in living in a caravan.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
I got auto corrected, it should have said set of business cards (not that it rules out the caravan club).

Here in Sussex I've seen travellers vans that are works of art with wrapping to rival SKY vans :rolleyes: another favourite of theirs is a fake Motorway Maintenance truck and wearing Hi Viz.

Here in Sussex I've seen travellers vans that are works of art with wrapping to rival SKY vans :rolleyes: another favourite of theirs is a fake Motorway Maintenance truck and wearing Hi Viz.

Why would it be fake?

Because they aren't real ;)

Who the hell is going to go to the trouble of faking motorway maintenance signs on a van? Where would that get you access to, apart from a motorway? ;)

Reminds me of the sketch in "Alas Smith & Jones", where they're sitting outside a house, in a van marked "MI5 Undercover Surveillance"

Cheers
Richard

I suppose it could be so they look less suspicious when parked at the side of the road pulling up all the copper cables?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back