Roof Spread.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not a 'how do I fix this' problem, but a text-book example of roof-spread and what it can do, for those interested.

House is a 1970s detached which is having a higher and wider roof built. Original ceiling formed a 'collar-braced' roof, with raised ties. The ties were re-nailed to the new rafters but the fixings proved inadequate once the weight of the tiles went on.

Fixed now and all good, but the wall will need re-building.

(It wasn't my fault, honest!).
DSCF7605.JPG

Sponsored Links
I what way were the fixings inadequate? We'd fix ours with screws initially then hit the joints with through bolts after everything is in place and before any weight is added to the structure.

Sponsored Links
I what way were the fixings inadequate? We'd fix ours with screws initially then hit the joints with through bolts after everything is in place and before any weight is added to the structure.

They initially used the original (rusty) oval nails driven back in. But the new roof is a lot heavier and bent the old nails, so roof pushed out.
Scan0014.jpg

This happened last Friday dinner time. Stabilized it over the weekend by tying opposite feet of the rafters with 225x50s bolted with 2 16mm bolts to each rafter.
This week, the bolts were slackened off and the centre of the roof has been pulled back with a ratchet fixed to the ceiling (tiles were removed first to reduce weight) and now back where it should be. All rafters have now been tied with 225x50 - it was going to be ready for a loft conversion anyway so these will do for the new floor. Builders took a gamble, really - these things happen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back