Roof survey came up with a few problems...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're buying a house and had a homebuyers survey done to determine any problems before we moved in and it came up with a couple of roofing problems... Can anyone help me to work out how serious they actually are?
The house was built in 1955 and this was the statement in the survey..
The roof is covered with interlocking concrete tiles. The roof is lined internally with sarking felt. The verges are slightly worn to the edge of the roof.
It was not possible to ascertain the reason why, but some of the tiles to the rear roof at eaves level were slightly lifted. This will require closer inspection, either internally on crawl boards or from ladders, however the conservatory position makes access difficult.
The roof lining has rotted, is torn internally, is very frayed and worn at the edges where visible and does not project sufficiently into the guttering.
Any ideas!?

Sponsored Links
as what he ^ said,typical 50's and still working (well the roof).

Buy the place with confidence. If thats the damage then you are well ahead of the game.

Most of what you appear to describe can be remedied with perhaps a few hundred pounds - but without photos its difficult, for me anyway, to say much more or be more accurate.

Sponsored Links
Not wishing to worry you, but as it'll require scaffolding to get over the conservatory, it'll cost more than a few hundred, but hopefully not too much - but they might be able to get to the ridge from the front, and then get over and down the rear of the roof. Although the felt has worm internally, and may well not project into the gutters, as long as rain isn't getting inside under the raised tiles, there shouldn't really be a problem.

But it might be worth getting a roofer to asses the situation, and then use that to negotiate if necessary.

The important thing is that the survey has not stated that it is leaking.

A Homebuyer's Report comments are useless without any context. "tiles slightly lifted", "verge worn" (whatever that nonsense comment means) and "roof lining rotted or freyed" are meaningless unless you are told what this actually means to you.

I've got all of those on my house for instance. 99% of 1950's householders will have, and will have had so for many years without any probelms. You need to ask whoever surveyed it to give you some meaningful interpretation of their observations.

Don't get anyone to have a look at a roof unless its an actual problem. Unless you have money to throw away.

Just use the report to argue for a price reduction on the property,thats what people do some more than others.

3 of the 4 properties i purchased in 2016 the vendors accepted substantial lower offers,the property condition only accounted for minimal reductions(telling the vendors their loved,pride and joy property has many defects is one good way of vendor rejecting your offer) ,the fact that the properties were well over valued by the estate agents and getting the estate agents to lower their commission got me the properties for what i think is reasonable.
Sellers market maybe but depends where in the country.
Surveys,never had one done,never trust them.

Yeah, and sometimes when I buy a cheese sandwich from the bloke at the market I offer £1.50 or whatever I have in my pocket instead of £1.99. Sometimes I ask for a free bag of crisps too. It doesn't work at Greggs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back