1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Roof tile batten broken

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by chainsaw_masochist, 6 Jun 2021.

1. chainsaw_masochist

chainsaw_masochist

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A leak in bungalow roof caused an ingress of water a couple of evenings ago. The following morning a quick view from the garden showed that one of the roof tiles had slid downwards creating a small opening. This tile normally sits under the flashing of a ventilation pipe. Upon checking out the loft more closely I have removed a section of the damaged fabric that lines the roof as well as some of the rockwall insulation between the joists. I have left the tile out of position in order that any damp will vent to the atmosphere but will close this prior to the next rainfall.

What I can see is that a wooden batten has come away from its fixing ā€“ perhaps into the vent pipe ā€“ and I am unsure how this should be repositioned into place. It is pretty difficult to get close to the batten as there is limited space in this position of the loft ā€“ right near to the gutter etc.

Any advice as to how I could go about sorting this would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

20210605_080537.jpg 20210605_162641.jpg 20210605_162647.jpg

2. CBW

CBW

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, Iā€™d employ the services of a good roofer.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Could you not lift the lead pipe vent cover, remove a few tiles, replace the batten and refit the tiles?

5. SpecialK

SpecialK

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Looks like when the stinkpipe was fitted the batten was cut and it was just hanging there?
    You could remove a row of tiles and fit a batten underneath that one if it will go around the vent pipe. Then replace the failed batten and screw it to the new one underneath?

Or put in a new short rafter for the batten to sit on...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Sponsored Links
  7. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    And clean out the gutters while you're up there :eek:

• Like Like x 3