Roof tile batten broken

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A leak in bungalow roof caused an ingress of water a couple of evenings ago. The following morning a quick view from the garden showed that one of the roof tiles had slid downwards creating a small opening. This tile normally sits under the flashing of a ventilation pipe. Upon checking out the loft more closely I have removed a section of the damaged fabric that lines the roof as well as some of the rockwall insulation between the joists. I have left the tile out of position in order that any damp will vent to the atmosphere but will close this prior to the next rainfall.

What I can see is that a wooden batten has come away from its fixing – perhaps into the vent pipe – and I am unsure how this should be repositioned into place. It is pretty difficult to get close to the batten as there is limited space in this position of the loft – right near to the gutter etc.

Any advice as to how I could go about sorting this would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

20210605_080537.jpg 20210605_162641.jpg 20210605_162647.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I’d employ the services of a good roofer.

Could you not lift the lead pipe vent cover, remove a few tiles, replace the batten and refit the tiles?

Looks like when the stinkpipe was fitted the batten was cut and it was just hanging there?
You could remove a row of tiles and fit a batten underneath that one if it will go around the vent pipe. Then replace the failed batten and screw it to the new one underneath?

Or put in a new short rafter for the batten to sit on...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back