Roof wall plate help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI Guys

Need some help, I'm having a big extension and house refurbishment done. Today I had a friend who has some building knowledge come to look at it and he identified an issue with there not being a wall plate under the roof timbers, instead he said there were just noggins between the timbers and that the timbers were resting directly on the block work

Before I ask the contractor I just wanted to get your learned opinions on the issue

Thanks in adavnce
2016-12-19-PHOTO-00000420.jpg
2016-12-19-PHOTO-00000419.jpg
2016-12-19-PHOTO-00000418.jpg

Sponsored Links
Odd way to build a roof....? Although the lack of a wall plate isn't a problem per se.

The one main downside is the lack of provision for the resistance of up-lift i.e. how are the timber elements united and held down without the benefit of a timber wall plate and bent straps?

Odd way to build a roof....? Although the lack of a wall plate isn't a problem per se.

The one main downside is the lack of provision for the resistance of up-lift i.e. how are the timber elements united and held down without the benefit of a timber wall plate and bent straps?

Thanks for the quick reply, thats the issue at the moment I dont think it is held down........

It is a problem, and the problem is that the load from each rafter is now pushing directly on individual blocks, rather than being spread along the wall as would be with a plate. This applies especially to the hip rafter, which now has no restraint at all.

It demonstrates a lack of knowledge of the most basic roof framing, and would be picked up by the building inspector.

Sponsored Links
and why are all the seat cuts protruding in beyond the wall plates and all different lengths. yeah it's just plain wrong. Any chance of a wider view of the hip area, from plate, or non plate to ridge

Thanks guys for your input, im not onsite today will take the pictures requested tomorrow. My builder friend who picked up the issue sent these pictures to the building control firm he uses and their answer was the 'wall plate' needs to be replaced and all the rafters correctly bird mouthed into place. ( I have no idea what that last bit means )

I also contacted building control yesterday as my builder friend advised me to get them onsite to have a look. Turns out our building control have only signed off foundation depth yet and have not been called in after that. He is meeting myself onsite tomorrow to go through everything and rectify any issues. I will keep all you guys informed of the progress

Last edited:
What type of roof is this ? on the first picture it looks quite
steep and then on the second picture it looks shallow.
Why not post a few shot from the outside as well as the inside.

FWIW:

As above, a full length, tied-down wall plate is necessary - one of the reasons BCO's inspect at: trench, Damp and wall plate.

Full plates are necessary for hip ties, especially using some form of Dragon Tie (google pics) to hold down the hip - in the OP's photo: using a ply corner plate and two galv strapped Dragon Ties would just about do the trick but only if everything was tied-in with angle plates, and strapped down.

The hip has had a two by added as some kind of raised backing plate - presumably the hip was dropped too much (unless there was a particular kind of hip tile arrangement in mind?).

Using such large section rafters with (apparently) no soffit, unless the plumb cut is packed out, will leave the fascia tight to the brickwork.

There are other glaring oddities but, whatever, thats a cut roof too far for whoever built it, with wonderful examples of how not to do it, and, as above, no BCO will let it pass.

WhatsApp Image 2016-12-21 at 16.35.5h3.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2016-12-21 at 16.35.48.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2016-12-21 at 16.35.49.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2016-12-21 at 16.35.50.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2016-12-21 at 16.35.51.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2016-12-21 at 16.35.52.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2016-12-21 at 16.35.53.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2016-12-21 at 16.365.52.jpeg
roof.jpg
roof2.jpg
Ok Guys,

BCO visited today and the bottom line is the roof will pass with remedial work, whats been asked for is the wooden battens between the roof rafters to be bolted into the each rafter on either side in order to make a continuous frame. That frame will then be tied down to the wall on every other roof joist inorder to keep it in place.

Here are the pictures that have been asked for, to say I feel let down by the builder is a major understatement

Some/most of the joinery work on that roof looks to be guess work
why start without a wall plate on a project of that size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back