Roofing felt and battens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

A couple of questions from a newbie! I am wanting to put a roof on an external shed which is to be used for storing rubbish bins. I am proposing to use a good grade marine ply covered with slate tiles.

1. Do I need to bother with a layer of roofing felt before fixing tiles; and

2. Do I need to fix horizontal battens or can I fix tiles straight onto marine ply

Many thanks

Andrew

Sponsored Links
For the cost of some felt or membrane y you'd be mad not to, you need battens to fix the slates to, you also need some vertical battens under the horizontal ones to allow the felt or membrane to drape a little so that any rain that might get through can drain out. But it all begs the question, if you have rafters, why do you have plywood on top?

There are no rafters as such, just the end side walls of the shed (made of brick). I was thinking of using a single sheet of ply (1.2 metres wide) to span the two end side walls and then fix tiles on top!

Sponsored Links
You could fix straight to ply, but it's not ideal.

Whilst slate won't let any rain through, there is a condensation risk at the back of the slates, with no adequate natural ventilation gap. Longer term, this will delaminate the ply, but in context that won't be a significant issue.

Also slate is uneven thickness. Laths hide this to an extent, but a solid board will not. Artificial slate should be OK in this respect.

But for what it is, you could do as you purpose, but a board will dip at that span with no middle support

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back