Roofing in rain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We're having an extension built and the roof tiling is planned for tomorrow. It's due to rain heavily over the coming days and next and I'm concerned this will cause problems down the road. The roof has been felted for the past 4 weeks and has been regularly drenched, but I'm told by the builder this is not a problem, despite the walls apparently getting wet at the top, inside and out.

I'd be interested to know if roofing in the wet weather will cause me problems in future.

Picture included of the current state of the roof when it last rained

Many thanks

IMG_20220930_155937.jpg

Sponsored Links
no reason to panic, it wont rain forever and you have a decent underlay one of the best imho.

Fascia looks a bit skinny is it cappit? and don't forget underlay support trays

no reason to panic, it wont rain forever and you have a decent underlay one of the best imho.

Fascia looks a bit skinny is it cappit? and don't forget underlay support trays
Thanks for the reply. Just to check, it's ok to lay the tiles while raining/battens and underlay wet? There won't be time to dry anything out.

Sponsored Links
The roofer has wrongly stopped the felt behind the fascia - its been cut too short.
Felt should be left long to flap over the fascia, and only be cut when the gutters are fixed in place.

As above - a felt support tray/plastic eaves tray and long rippings of 1m x ? felt to back up the in-place felt will solve your problem.
The first batten will have to be lifted for sliding the ripping in under the in-place felt.

Just saying: its not sound to work on any roof in wet weather - even though you are working from a scaff.

Has the cavity insulation been soaked?

The roofer has wrongly stopped the felt behind the fascia - its been cut too short.
Felt should be left long to flap over the fascia, and only be cut when the gutters are fixed in place.

As above - a felt support tray/plastic eaves tray and long rippings of 1m x ? felt to back up the in-place felt will solve your problem.
The first batten will have to be lifted for sliding the ripping in under the in-place felt.

Just saying: its not sound to work on any roof in wet weather - even though you are working from a scaff.

Has the cavity insulation been soaked?
Thanks for response. No insulation in place yet. It's been like this for well over a month now apparently waiting for the tiles, with basically nothing happening inside or out..

When you say long rippings of 1m felt do you mean an additional layer of felt under the existing felt layer (and under the first batten)?

Yes.

Hope you understand I'm talking about the cavity insulation in the wall - surely its in by now?

Underlay does not need to hang into the gutter once an underlay support is in place . It'll only rot off in no time.
The tile in the distance looks like either a sandtoft 2020 or Cassius both clay and good.
Every thing in your image looks fine apart from the fascia which looks like a cappit without a back board .. again guessing from the image .

Yes.

Hope you understand I'm talking about the cavity insulation in the wall - surely its in by now?
Oh right yes, sorry. The insulation was wet although I had a feel about and it didn't feel soaking and I challenged the builder on this but was told it would be fine as it would dry. I did ask, early on, why the roof wasn't tarped, but was told it wasn't needed. Is this a concern?

Underlay does not need to hang into the gutter once an underlay support is in place . It'll only rot off in no time.
The tile in the distance looks like either a sandtoft 2020 or Cassius both clay and good.
Every thing in your image looks fine apart from the fascia which looks like a cappit without a back board .. again guessing from the image .
Thank you. Is this type of fascia inappropriate?

The weather will have zero effect on your roof..it will dry out when it is tiled..roofs are stripped, felted and tiled in the rain its par for the course.

why the roof wasn't tarped, but was told it wasn't needed. Is this a concern?
tarps can make things worse, they crease up and water pools and then runs in through holes or tears in the tarp

A tarp will also keep a roof roof constantly damp, its better to let the wind get to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back