Roofing issue - please advise

mp7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We have just returned from holiday to find two small brown water marks on our bathroom ceiling. Immediately above the bathroom is our loft.

I had a look up in the loft and you can see light through the black felt so I thought a tile might have become dislodged/fallen in the recent stormy weather. I cant get right up to the roof as it is not boarded there.

I have had a look from outside and it does seem as if a tile is missing.

Of course I might be completely wrong!

My main queries are these:

1. The house is a new build and falls within the NHBC buildmark 10 years warranty. However I have heard they have a minimum claims amount. Would it be worth pursuing them, contact insurance or do the job through some private contractors.

2. If I did undertake the work on my own would I need to contact roofers only or a plumber as well?

3. Any rough ideas on how much this might cost to put right?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
As far as I know there is an excess on the NHBC claim. If there is a tile missing and it was genuine storm damage then you could claim it thru your home insurance, but it might also have an excess.

To call out a roofer I'd expect to pay a couple of hours plus a bit for the tile, maybe £50? But that depends how expensive tradesmen are in your area. A firm will charge more. However you also say you can see daylight. The felt underneath the tiles should be completely intact so that if a tile breaks or wind forces water uphill then any rainwater should be shed out into the gutter at the bottom. It sounds like you need the area examined to determine how to rectify the lack of/fault with the underfelt before you replace the tile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back