room stat part P ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, do i have to be part p qualified to install or replace a room stat,programmer or any other any other heating component like wiring ?
Also what type and size of cable/heat resistant flex should i use to install a room stat as i intend to fit one in my own house ?
Thanks in advance , Outinthestix.

Sponsored Links
If you're swappiing something then you do no need part "P".

All heating controls can be wired in .75mm flexi - heat resistant is best choice near pipe work and boiler.

EliteHeat said:
If you're swappiing something then you do no need part "P".

All heating controls can be wired in .75mm flexi - heat resistant is best choice near pipe work and boiler.

mmm think you need domeswtic installer cert now to prove competency and you must write out a minor work cert for any thing (straight swap or new)

as Part P was ammended on 1/4/06.

check it out

very interesting reading

www.odpm.guv.uk

Sponsored Links
I'm sure like for like (no rewiring) replacements by home owners, at least, dont need Part-P.

thought part p was kitchens and bathrooms only or am i behind the times.

fitz1 said:
thought part p was kitchens and bathrooms only or am i behind the times.

not at all

you must notify if you make changes in special locations, but must be appropratley qualified to self certify everywhere else

bster said:
I'm sure like for like (no rewiring) replacements by home owners, at least, dont need Part-P.

My understanding of the ammendments of part P is that you must complete a minor work certificate for all electrical work, and to do this you must prove competency as per part P (domestic installer etc) I have checked this with our training provider and they agree

therefore all the lads are now undertaken Part P domestic installer classes not just on the word of the trainers, several insurance companies that we work for have allow us six months to comply or they will start using other appropriately trained ops

Labour sucks, this is not about safety its a bleedin stealth tax

Corgiman - how in depth is the part p for plumbers (cant remember what the proper name for it is) - do you think a person with basic+ electrical knowledge will deal with it ok.

I have done the ELA domestic installer course about 18 months ago, it was hard but doable mate

one of the other lads is doing a cpart p course at the mo, i forget itsname, and doesnt seem as intense as the one i did

I was rushed to do it as the deadline originally was the 1/1/05 then it was postponed to 1/4/06, so i think they have got there act together now

Interesting reading,
Part P on its own requires "Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury". One form of compliance with this is to comply with BS7671, hence issuing Minor Works Certificates or EICs for all additions/alterations.
Certain work is however not required to be notified to LABC, (although non-notifiable, all electrical work in a dwelling still falls into the scope of Part P). The amendment which came out in April 2006 now includes Main and Supplementary bonding (I bet you lot love doing this :D ) in the list of non-notifiable work.
For info;
Ban-all-Sheds part p summary 04/06
Statutory instrument (the Law)
Statutory instrument amendments
Guidance to approved document 2006
Hope this clears some of it up.

Am i right in saying PartP does not mean you know how to wire up but simply means you know how to test the integrity of the installation.

bster said:
Am i right in saying PartP does not mean you know how to wire up but simply means you know how to test the integrity of the installation.
Part P is the building regulation which now governs all electrical work in dwellings in England / Wales. Part P is a part of the building regulations which are law, hence it is a legal requirement to comply with them. Non-notifiable works are not required to be notified to LABC, they must however comply with P1 ("Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury".) Notifiable works must be notified to LABC, if you are not a member of a self certification scheme they must be notified before you start, a fee paid and LABC then needs to oversee compliance with the building regs. If you are a member of a self certification scheme such as NAPIT, NICEIC, ECA etc then you will notify them of the works done and they notify LABC, no prior notice to LABC in this case is required. The reason for testing is to comply with BS7671 which although is non-statutory imo is about the best way to show compliance with P1.

Going a bit off track..

Why has a combi got to be bonded but a conventional boiler not (or does it) and is 4mm2 the right size?.

should i be asking these questions in the electrical section? - if so - sorry!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back