room thermostat needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi . i had a new baxi combi fitted a couple of months ago, i think a 133he. Reading this site people talk about room thermostats,well i dont seem to have one but do have thermostats on every radiator. Is this just as good. thanks

Sponsored Links
No, because the boiler sits there cycling on and off even though the rooms are all warm enough. That's why it's not allowed under part L of the Building Regulations, where the thermostat is referred to as a "boiler interlock".

Oh . Cant say i have noticed it cycling but its all new to me i have never had gas before. The man was very nice and seemed to be very experienced so should i call him back to fit one

Certainly. He has broken the LAW :eek: :eek: . He is liable to a fine for each day that the transgression is allowed to remain. Prison sentence is possible!
He'll probably moan that a wire has to go between the boler and the thermostat which can be a pain. You can get radio thermostats, around £80 plus installation.
Moreover, the room where the thermostat gets put should not have an active thermostatic valve, though in practice if it's on maximum it won't shut with the heating on.

Sponsored Links
Before you go hauling the guy over the coals.

The Baxi Combi 133 HE Plus has an intergrated flow switch, which is part L compliant and is suitable for a fully Trv'ed system, not requiring a bypass or a room thermostat.

Fair enough, thanks, I hadn't come across that! :LOL:
Presumably it "has a go" every couple of minutes?

Gasman1015 said:
The Baxi Combi 133 HE Plus has an intergrated flow switch

I have not heard of this either!

As I always like to keep up with the latest technology, could you please explain exactly what this is and how it works please?

Since the Building Regulations are a Law, imposed by the Government, is there a variation or exemption to specifically cover this model of boiler?

Obviously in Court, I could hardly say in my defence that someone on the internet calling himself "Gasman" told me a room stat was not needed! Well, I could say that but I dont think it would aid my defence!

Tony Glazier

Yes please do explain as I have not heard of this either, do you fit the Baxi in the room of the radiator which has no TRV to comply !!!!!!!

Jenny its fitted correct. Here we go again poor old honest tradseman does a proper job and he is hung drawn and quartered by people who don`t know how a particular boiler works. Baxi brochure clearly states. Flow switch fitted as standard-Part L compliance via flow switch for fully trvd systems which means no room stat or bypass req. Also has an anti cycling stat fitted

Very good, worth considerring for future installations, is this item on the platinum model with the five year warranty ?

Gawd - it's turned into a sniping match, no wonder the humble consumer has a dim view of plumbers.
Pack it in!
We can't all know all the regs and models all the time!

The quote from the boiler manual above is perfectly correct, and Part L says

1.33 Boiler Control Interlocks
Gas and Oil fired hot water central heating system controls should switch the boiler off when no heat is required whether control is by room thermostats or trv's
a. Systems controlled by thermostats should fire only when a space heating or cylinder thermostat is calling for heat
b. Systems controlled by trv's should be fitted with flow control or other devices to prevent unnecessary boiler cycling

It would have been sensible of the installer to have explained how the systems works to the customer, and for the customer to have called the installer about the concern.

A flow switch is recognised as an alternative to the room stat as a way of providing boiler interlock. The main advantage of a flow switch are that then all rads can have TRVs, giving a more straightforward basis for thermostatic control.

In theory a flow switch does not need to be an integral part of the boiler. It could be an independent unit fitted on flow or return pipework (but beyond any by-pass connection), wired in like a room stat. Although I'm not aware of anything on the market yet.

As TRVs shut down, flow reduces until the switch shuts off CH. However the CH pump would have to continue running, or the flow switch would not be able to switch heating back on (unless the flow switch incorporated some device to restart pump after a time interval).

Yes Chris - boiler interlock explained in post 2, need for boiler to check on flow in post 6..!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back