Roomstat height when installation is under part M guidance?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Maybe you can give me your experience or ideally reference to some text on this one?

I'm in the middle of a re-wire of a domestic property. The property was stripped back to brick, and it is to be letted and so naturally part M's guidance of accessory heights has been considered.
All switches and sockets have been installed within the 450mm-1200mm barrier, with exception of fan isolator switches as they're not for operational use of course.

The plumb originally was gonna use a wireless stat, but the client then asked for one to be wired. So my guy on site put the three core he requested from the boiler to the position that was pointed out, but then lowered it to the 1200mm height.

Now the plumber is saying that it should be raised so that it will properly pick up the warmer air for an accurate operation, and my guy says that it's a thermostat that will have to be operated by the tenant for general use and would need to be considered under part M like everything else.

Now I find myself agreeing with both of these arguments

:(

I have looked through part M for either an exception or inclusion of such and have had no luck. The electricians guide doesn't seem to have helped me either.

Can someone point me in the right direction please, I would like to find a piece of text that I could use to back up whatever decision is needed.

I'm off out for a few hours now and so can't reply till later, but thanks for any help

widdler

Sponsored Links
Things like this have to be fitted/located in accordance with manufacturers guidelines or industry practice - this over-rides the Part M requirement for "reasonable" accessibility.

Hot air rises, it could be 'considered' that having a thermostat at face height (1500mm) will switch the heating off when everyone is sitting 500mm off the floor.

Drop the height to 1200mm keeping inside part M- I'd imagine the house would have TRV's on all the main room rads anyway.

Sponsored Links
Does it really matter, thermostats are only a temperature operated switch afterall and from experience they're not very accurate anyway, once you set the temperature of the house/room with the thermostat its irrelevant whether it says its at 21deg, 22 or 20 or whatever and if you need a bit more you wack it up a deg or two and vice versa when you want it a bit cooler, the point is you set the dial to the temp that feels right not what it says on the dial and height up the wall give or take a foot or two is irrelevant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back