Rosemary ridge tile repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over last couple of months ive noticed a few bits of red flake and chunks of clay appearing on the driveway round the house (1960's Semi)
up until recently i have thought little of it until finding some of the flakes on the windscreen of the car that's normally parked under this corner of the house.

On further investigation, i can see a couple of the ridge tiles starting to crumble - pics attached.
20210221_114344986_iOS.jpg
20210221_114347788_iOS.jpg

Ive had a roofing company take a look - and his verdict was new roof as replacing these this will likely cause more harm - due to being rosemary tiles?

Ive also had a "qualified roofer" comment that they can likely easily be replaced as the roof seems to be in good condition (albeit from the pictures above, not a visit)

The rest of the roof is in reasonable condition to me, in that it doesn't leak and theres only a couple of slipped tiles across the whole roof area (one per side)

Having done a bit of research, i see the consensus that rosemary tiles are indeed deemed as being fragile.

Is trying to get this (admittedly small) issue repaired likely to open the door to more issues down the line? - should i just hold out a few more years for a re-roof. (at the end of the day any car damage would still be cheaper to fix than a new roof)
Or even just get someone up there to try and sweep off the existing flakes just to reduce the chance of them falling on the car?

Any opinions/advice greatly received.

Sponsored Links
Over last couple of months ive noticed a few bits of red flake and chunks of clay appearing on the driveway round the house

Any opinions/advice greatly received.
Early machine made tiles were more precise and sat too closely together meaning they trapped water and caused the tiles to delaminate during frosts. Later manufactured tiles were produced with a double camber to prevent wicking.

Yours look like those that delaminate. Is there much debris in the gutters or any evidence of delamination? Its certainly visible on those ridge tiles. Incidentally - that looks a pig of a job to try and do off ladders. I would want a scaffold, to mess about with that hip.

Last edited:
the consensus that rosemary tiles are indeed deemed as being fragile.

Not 100 % correct Rosemary sometimes have their issues as do most Clay tiles. Usually down to batch.

From those pictures I see no tell tale signs of the actual tiles failing, The capped hips yes.

Lower hips indicate they may have been pointed in the past and is now failing which should mean easy to lift off (No Hip Irons tut tut)
That's not the mortar bed on show

From the images id say you could drag it out for a few years by replacing all the hips in that run.

Scaffold required

Start saving you have another 10yrs yet! although the hip iron missing needs monitoring.

Sponsored Links
Not 100 % correct Rosemary sometimes have their issues as do most Clay tiles. Usually down to batch.

From those pictures I see no tell tale signs of the actual tiles failing, The capped hips yes.

Lower hips indicate they may have been pointed in the past and is now failing which should mean easy to lift off (No Hip Irons tut tut)
That's not the mortar bed on show

From the images id say you could drag it out for a few years by replacing all the hips in that run.

Scaffold required
I think they have been pointed in the past, and had some tiles replaced as I have a stack of spare ones in the garage from when I moved in..

Also this is the only corner of the house that doesn’t have one of those hip-iron things, so maybe it’s fallen off.

I’ve attached a couple of extra photos showing the rest of the roof.
7CCA9954-DFE9-4E81-A121-D42526C9F15D.jpeg
E556363D-0A0D-4CEB-B64B-99380D5C7A42.jpeg
226905FD-1D4D-414A-B3C0-631EEF4B9486.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back