Rotary/dremel tool attachment for filing metal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to file down the edge of some door strike plates. Is there a rotary/Dremel tool attachment that would be able to do this please? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
the normal with stricking plates is to sink them in or move them with a bit off chiselling out or matchstick/hole filled with slithers and bradawl
exactly what surface or edge are you attacking ???
remember, it needs to finish ultra smooth to avoid friction 'jambing and wear

Sponsored Links
If it's the tab these can often be gently bent a bit to allow the latch to slide past.
I've even been mildly successful by polishing the striker plate and catch with a nylon scourer.

the normal with stricking plates is to sink them in or move them with a bit off chiselling out or matchstick/hole filled with slithers and bradawl
exactly what surface or edge are you attacking ???
remember, it needs to finish ultra smooth to avoid friction 'jambing and wear
I'm trying to file down this edge, because the lock feature is curved and catches on it.

Attachments

• strike-plate-chrome-short-4.jpg
    strike-plate-chrome-short-4.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 57
If it's the tab these can often be gently bent a bit to allow the latch to slide past.
I've even been mildly successful by polishing the striker plate and catch with a nylon scourer.
Thank you, I don't think using a scouring pad will work here and I can't seem to bend it, so filing it down is the only option.

another point
has the door been dipped or stripped as this can dissolve the glue and cause the door to drop

The easiest way for this one is to buy a small flat file from Homebase or whatever, put the keep in a vice and the job will be done in minutes.
Using round rotary tools will give a lump in the corners.
If you have a vice of course! :LOL:
You don't need a vice, John you can file it in situ in the jamb.

The easiest way for this one is to buy a small flat file from Homebase or whatever, put the keep in a vice and the job will be done in minutes.
Using round rotary tools will give a lump in the corners.
If you have a vice of course! :LOL:
John :)
Understood Burnerman, no vice though!

Filing in situ can be awkward depending on the depth of the recess cut in the frame, and how much metal you need to remove......
How about one of these for Christmas?(y)
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back