Rotate gas meter hose?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, we are having some storage built for understairs cupboard. Now that it's been opened up you can see the gas meter flex hose sticks out a which will interfere with the new drawers. I wonder if I could loosen the bolts and rotate that hose and regulator 90 degrees so it's parallel with the wall and not pointing outwards. Is this a no no or is it as simple as turning off the gas and rotating it?

Thanks Stuart
PXL_20220621_153718151.jpg
PXL_20220621_153704459.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I swap butane and propane on my barbecue all the time what's the difference?

I swap butane and propane on my barbecue all the time what's the difference?
The difference is that the law requires people working on gas supplies to be competent, which in reality means Gas Safe registered.

If you really want it altering, the only option is to contact a Gas Safe registered person who can work on gas meters.

The gas meter must remain fully accessible so that the gas supply can be turned off in an emergency, or for when the meter requires replacement or inspection. Having built in drawers / storage constructed in front of it is not a sensible or useful thing to do.

Thanks guys the real question is if it's worth getting a gas Safe engineer out to do this. I'm guessing the answer is no as it will cost over £200 (SW London) but worth asking.

I'm NOT looking for advice about the drawers as they will pull out fully to enable us to read the meters / shut off gas if we need to (thought that was obvious).

If you have to physically remove drawers to get to a gas meter, whether to service/work on, read or shut of in an emergency then not sure that would be seen as unrestricted access. I've had to remove panelling and cupboards around gas meters before now as they didn't allow proper access.

Could it be found and accessed easily if the emergency services had to get to it? Worth thinking about.

Sounds like those drawers will very much impede access in an emergency, and may well therefore contravene the Gas Safety Installation & Use Regulations

Get a free "smart" meter fitted and get him to straighten up the anaconda.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back