Rothenberger 22mm Pipeslice - is this right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have used a monument mini cutter quite happily for many years but since I couldn't source a spare wheel locally I decided to purchase a Rothenberger automatic pipeslice from Screwfix here.

From experience using the adjustable mini slice it does leaves a burr but it is quite small and easily removed with a deburring tool, i.e., it leaves a very clean cut end. However I find that the Rothenberger pipeslice - very fast in comparison - does actually cut cleanly (hardly any burrs) BUT it does leave a considerably-sized internal edge all round internally. It literally forms the end so much so that you can see an obvious radius all around the outer circumference of the pipe - and subsequently a significant raised internal edge all around the inside.

I'm used to the old monument tool cutting very cleanly, leaving the end of the pipe 'even' all round, i.e., as good as new like that cut by the manufacturer, whereas the automatic one forms a folded end which I can't clear using my usual deburring tool (because its too substantial).

So is this normal to you experienced users? Is the turned end it creates intended by design (??), or might I have a duff one? I've been brought up not to create unnecessary reductions/restrictions in pipework wherever possible for good efficiency. Has the modern world relaxed its views on this?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I use a Monument Autocut which looks exactly the same as the one you linked.

It cuts like this:

IMG_2825.JPG

The Burr created causes friction and turbulence. It should be reamed out. (Though in practice it seldom is ) !!

Thanks, yes it looks about the same sort of result Ian.

Terry any suggestion as to what example reamer will trim that much material away? I'd like to do it properly if I can, bearing in mind there is often not much access space for cleaning up existing pipework. Cheers

Sponsored Links
Most, if not all pipeslices will leave a turned over cut internally with the newer thinner walled copper. Get another Rothy product, I find this does the deburring job famously

1.1006-Deburrer-1.jpg
1.1006-Deburrer-2.jpg

I really wish I could give a feck, who cares ?????? every fitting you use will have the same effect, find something else to get excited about

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back