Rotten floorboards bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wgat can i do about rotrwn dloorboard under edge of bath. Shower has been leaking
15842922416753333378955468625303.jpg
for a while

Attachments

• 15842920480388420931563179762325.jpg
    15842920480388420931563179762325.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 156
Sponsored Links
Either fix the leak and see if the wood drys out without collapsing. Check the integrity of the wood by pushing a screwdriver into the wood, if it goes in all the way to the hilt then it's time to lift and replace before it collapses.

I'm doing exactly that job on Wednesday. The tray/tiles in front of the tay has started to move after a pi$$ poor wall repair. Didn't do a very good job and it's obviously continued to leak, now the plywood under the tile (softwood - fanny's!!) and the pine boards below that are starting to collapse - rotten through. Will be cutting out bottom row of wall tiles and lifting 1st row of 600mm floor tiles fronting the tray. then it'll be lifting the tray and see what's left, not a lot I'll guess.

It'll probably be a lift/cut everything out and replace, then tank and a piece of 18mm WBP ply goes in.

Thanks sort of what i figured. Have lifted one line completely knackered board. Will let dry out and see what happens next

Sponsored Links
If it start to break down then it's goosed, even sodden boards will be hard to get a driver through if they haven't started to rot yet. Depends on how long it's been wet TBH.

Edufixer, good evening.

Could be an Insurance claim?? under your House insurance.

BUT!!!

Such a claim would only be accepted by the insurer is it was impossible for you to see or have seen where the water was leaking. This type of claim would be rejected if the Mastic seal around the bath was [say] missing?

BUT!!! if the pipework feeding the shower was leaking in an area that was totally concealed from view, then the insurer would accept a claim??

Just a consideration??

Ken,

Be careful my mate took a sledgehammer to break out an old bath first swing
the bath and him ended up in the kitchen. Bob

the photo shows what looks like a water damaged joist and a water damaged floor board.
the board appears to be supporting what exactly?
it doesn't look like a bath apron?

firm i work for treat all water damaged wood the same - we move any appliances, fixtures or units, and then cut out all the damaged material - and replace with new treated wood.

OP, you appear to be on an upper floor so you would have the choice of working from in the room or working from below?

but, as mentioned above, first fix any leak(s).

I haven't removed the skirting or panelling yet from the front of the bath. There is some rot on the joist and part of the floorboard which you can see which is carrying the bath frame.

you should remove the bath panel and examine the boards under the bath - post pics if more damage can be seen.
once the panel is out you will have better access to the damaged board (or whats left of it) that we can see.
test the shower with the panel off - spray walls and enclosures - and then observe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back