Rough building costs for 3 bedroom house in Essex ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've attached plans (well created a new album called Romford) for some land we are looking at which has planning granted for a new 3 bedroom house in South Essex.

The existing plot will be completely cleared, there are no large tree close enough to effect the footings.

Basically we need an idea of costs, can someone give an idea of what this should be please ? The square meterage is 106 but that also includes the internal garage.

Hopefully you don't mind doing this, the sizes are there so even with in 10%-20% would still be great, but I just don't want to waste my time again.

We would be supplying and fitting the kitchen ourselves, other than that we need bathrooms electrics, plumb etc all done by the builder.

The access to the property is good, and though on the plans it shows brick we would be looking for a render finish in white, with black garage and front door. This would be more in keeping with the surrounding houses. Please based on fixture and fitting of a reasonable level, but not TOP end.

Any advice you can give at this point and a idea of costing would be great.

Also do you pay VAT on a new build ?

Regards

Ashley Clements-Smith

Sponsored Links
You dont pay VAT (But may have to pay then claim back) on a new build.
Couldn't see the file attachment?

look at £1000/m2

James

Yes thanks they are the plans. To be honest the plan say 9962 sft.

The £100 sft does that include everything, Kitchen, bathrooms, electric , plumbing, serves etc ?

I've also been told that a timber frame house would be cheaper and quicker to erect, has anyone experience of this ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I build Timber frame houses - they are quicker to erect, cheaper and more environmentally friendly. Timber frame is common down your way. The outside skin could be brick if that is the desired look.

IMO thats one hell of a poorly designed house for a self build.

If you are going to build a house, then why have it designed like one of the clones from any new housing estate since the 80's?

If you have any cats, then there wont be much swinging going on

If you like the plot, and planning use is already established, then I'd be inclined to reapply for a better design

Toilets by front doors are always fun. One of the residents is always on them when someone calls, and the caller gets the benefit of hearing the paper rip, toilet flush and seat go down, and then the person comes out flustered and offers to shake their hand.

I build Timber frame houses - they are quicker to erect, cheaper and more environmentally friendly.

Not forgetting that they heat up and cool down faster than masonry (poor thermal store), problems with fixing to internal walls, extra care in erecting and looking after the frame, and potential for creaking and reverberation in the long term. Plus extension\alteration potential can be limited

There are plus and minus for either timber or masonry

From what I have seen, there is little difference in cost between timber frame and mansonry.

Timber frame is generally build off site and dropped onto your base. So your concrete base has to be constructed very accurately.
Timber framed buildings if detailed correctly can be more air tight and offer more opportunity to pack in the insulation. But as pointed out, they tend to offer little thermal mass.

Masonry on the other hand, is laid on site. Can be adapted relatively easily to accommodate errors or changes on the fly and later in the building's life.
Newer cavity wall insulation products can really help get the 'U' values down and masonry has a higher thermal mass than timber which helps with the over all energy calcs. But greater attention has to be paid to the brick layers to ensure that they full fill an point all the block joints otherwise this will affect the building's air tightness.

We want to buy this land with planning permission, for that house, obviously we won't actually be building that house, but the footprint will be the same, because its similar to the neighboring buildings.

So it will be around 1000sft.

OK I appreciate everyones interest but we have gone way off track I still don't have an idea of price, which to be fair was my question and reason for posting?

Does this £100 per sft rough costing I keep reading about include everything, kitchen, bathroom etc ?

So say £120,000 is that more than enough to build, do a drive and pay for services to be hooked up etc. So EVERYTHING ?

To base costs from a Forum is utter madness. Its so very vague, the location of the plot, the spec of the build, the extent of external works, the access, the speed of the build will all have a bearing on price. Look at £1200/m2 at least but it could be say £1400/m2 and there is 10.76 ft2 in 1m2. The country is littered with half finished projects that ran out of money. Don't forget the extra mortgage payments as you submit and painfully wait for the planning to get approved. Was the approved planning application a breeze or a nightmare that took years?

There were issue about access, as the neighbors use that existing curbed area as parking, though its not, there are some big trees eitherside of the access and they now have preservation orders. They aren't anywhere near where the house will be though, so no piling or whatever required.

There is a lampost slap bang in the middle of the access aswell, which we will have to pay to move.

thanks for the answer by the way, but is £1200m2 for a complete house ? the plan say 980ft2, so based on £1400 even (we would source the kitchen and have that fitted ourselves) so £127,509 if that a finished job we could manage that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back