Rough cost of rotating stairs by 180 degrees.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I waist people’s time getting quotes etc and someone give me some ideal of the sort of costs I am looking at.

I am looking at a property where the stairs run from “back to front” and may wish them to run from “front the back”. The openings in the floors will not need changing. The current stairs will need removing and then refitting or a new set fitting – I am happy to do my own “making good” as there will be changes to stud walls etc that I will be doing myself.

Sponsored Links
Will probably need new stairs, might not.

Might need the joist doubling up where the stairs will be supported, might not.

Might be enough clearance where you want to put the top of the stairs, might not.

If suspended floor might need additional support under ground floor, might not.

Insufficient information.

Thanks IJWS15,

How much “ripping apart” of the building will be needed to get these answers?

Sponsored Links
You will need to lift the boards on the first floor to assess what the top of the stairs will rest on when moved - e.g. which way do the joists run, are they strong enough, is there a wall to rest them on . . . .

How are the stairs constructed and are they a straight run or winders, are they supported by newels at the top.

What is the room layout on the first floor and how far away from the new "top of stairs" are any walls.

Is the ground floor concrete or suspended, if suspended lift floor where the base will sit and compare with what is under the floor where the base of the stairs currently sits.

If the stairs are boxed in this may involve quite a bit of work.

Photographs of what you find would help and may stimulate more responses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back