Stair carpet quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just got a quote for just under £1200 inc vat for fitting carpet to stairs.
Some info:

There are 23 stairs in total.
There are two turns (one is 180 degrees, one is 90 degrees).
Stairs are 70cm wide, standard height.The carpet is running the full width of the stairs.
The carpet is expensive: £45/sqm.

Quote includes, underlay (cloud9), grippers etc.

Basically, it's a start to finish job from bare floorboards.

Very knowledgeable company but an independent.

ANy thoughts? I know some people are instantly going to scream at this quote but remember:
1) It's expensive carpet.
2) It's london. ... Sigh

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
There is not enough information there with regards sizes to work out how much carpet is being ordered. Also, what is the carpet? Is it a 80/20 Twist? a Wilton? An Axminster? Sisal or Seagrass (unlikely on cloud9), are there any Bullnoses? If there are Bullnoses, how many? are they being cap & banded or sewn? Are the stairs open plan? Is their a stringer to fit to or is there an open edge to the stair? Does the price including uplift & disposal and furniture move? Door cutting?

I would suggest that the quote probably sounds about right based on the limited information you have provided, but like I say, there are so many variables that can effect cost.

P.s. If it's not too late, ask about Crumb rubber or Felt underlays instead of the cloud9, the carpet would perform better on stairs (and inded most places) on a firmer, more supportive underlay.

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

I'll try and answer:
1 The carpet is a crucial trading carpet. To be exact: http://www.crucial-trading.com/en/Floorcovering_Details.aspx?rid=510. As I said, it's £45/m2 in the shop. I'm not questioning that though - I know it's not cheap carpet.
2 Bullnoses, yes, but I don't think the fitter plans on doing those you'd expect (I had to look it up too...). Ie I think he's doing a waterfall over them. I@m saying this as we didn't discuss that but other pictures on the site show similar stairs with similar carepts fitted in that manner.
3 The stairs are not open plan, the fitter will have to cut around approx 15 spindles which run from the rail down to the actual horizontal footplate. I can't find a picture of exactly what I mean but it's not terribly unusual.
4 The boards are bare at the moment and there is no furniture to move - it's just the step. No landing, nothing else.

ps point noted about crumb rubber.

Here's the breakdown btw. And yes, the bullnose is not planned to be done either cap or sewing method. Just to come down and over them...

Carpet: 774 (ie 17.2 sqm) - calculated by shop from knowing the number of step and turns - and seeing pictures(!)
Underlay: 125
Grippers: 60
Labour/FItting: 200

Sponsored Links
Those prices don't sound too far out, there's no way you can be sure until it's properly measured though.

Well, let#s say 17sqm is an upper estimate by 1msq (it can't be much more).

Does this quote make it OK + or - £50 (extra sqm).

I'm really just checking that I'm not getting totally ripped off here. If it's in the right area (with no bullnose finishing etc), then fine.

What you have is a rough guide, possibly staying cautious and slightly over estimating. There's no way I would be ordering from some pictures, it must be properly measured and planned, make site you are getting a sale discount too. Approx 10-15% on the carpet at least.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back