Rough price guide for connecting replacement boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone.

I am looking to replace an old boiler with a new one. Since the flow / return pipework is already there is I am assuming it can be almost straight swap and then tested for CO2 etc.

If I buy the boiler myself what would be a rough cost for this? £100.00?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I charge £700

Is the gas big enough for new boiler?
Can the new boiler flue through the same place as old?
Are the controls up to regs?

And so on !!

Hello everyone.

If I buy the boiler myself what would be a rough cost for this? £100.00?
lol-047.gif

if you only want it fixed to the wall

up and running will be another £500 +vat

MSN-Emoticon-thums-up-059.gif

LOL clearly I seem to be a little off the mark hehe. What about these CORGI companies that charge £50 per hour labour. Even at 4 hours thats £200.00 or is there something "special" going on with a replacement boiler?...

Sponsored Links
not £50 per hour for a boiler replacement its not done on an hourly rate.
think of this...

you seek say bowel surgery..

so who do you go and see?

the butcher?

or a thorasic surgeon?

both can do the job:cool:

You need to be a bit cautious supplying your own boiler, i personally wont do it unless its a well known boiler i've had experience with. There are a few problems you can expect on an old system.
1. Air locking in the boiler, so boiler not working. This is generally because old boilers will heat anything wether it air or water, where as new boilers are quite sensitive.
2. Getting access to drains for condense, a lot of old boilers are vertically flued in the center of the house making it hard to find an exit for condense pipework.

But as a guide GM's price is good. Hope this doesn't put you off, just making you aware

Is the boiler on the floor or wall? Are you looking to lift it onto the wall yourself and and do any mods to the flue?
Is it the new boiler going to be the same size and make? Just a newer boiler?
If so, this would be the easy job to replace make for make. Take Potterton, their range can for most part can be updated with a new boiler with as little as a mod to the flue, round into square outlet. It not impossible for a fair diy to do the donkey work and get a engineer to test etc. Yes for a £100 inc set up.
And no you do not need to see or be a Dr. Just do the refit to meet the regs.
Plumbers are not God....... I think one or six will fire some back at me, well so be it.

no and they wouldn't put their name on paperwork to cert that it's safe when some diyer has put it on the wall and connected the flue. not for £100

Is the boiler on the floor or wall? Are you looking to lift it onto the wall yourself and and do any mods to the flue?
Is it the new boiler going to be the same size and make? Just a newer boiler?
If so, this would be the easy job to replace make for make. Take Potterton, their range can for most part can be updated with a new boiler with as little as a mod to the flue, round into square outlet. It not impossible for a fair diy to do the donkey work and get a engineer to test etc. Yes for a £100 inc set up.
And no you do not need to see or be a Dr. Just do the refit to meet the regs.
Plumbers are not God....... I think one or six will fire some back at me, well so be it.
Your talking poo my dear friend :rolleyes:

Are you suggesting the same flue can be used ?
Are you also suggesting a Non Condensing boiler be fitted ?

Youll be lucky to find a RGI who will put their name to anothers work let alone a DIY jon :rolleyes:

More fool them if they do. I wont cert somone else's work for one simple reason.
Why should i spend my time and money on courses and qualifications when any tom dick or harry can do it.

:evil:

he's just a know all know nothing who's been striped up in the past and got the ache.

drunk-irish-048.gif

No i did not say that, i was putting the case for a like for like but newer boiler.
I did say round into square flue but as would be the case a new flue kit would be needed and its the hole in the wall thats needs to be rounded and the new flue pushed through fitted and the wall etc made good. Its not rocket science, just do the work to meet the regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back