router and router table

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Could anyone suggest a really good router and table they've experienced? I've only ever really done DIY woodwork in the past but making the transition to more professional stuff (simple cabinets and furniture) and so need something really hardy and long lasting...

Thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
I have a Trend 1/2 Router fixed to there own craftman table, works well because it has a fine height adj working from the top through a hole in table

Sponsored Links
Great thanks. What about a Festool OF2200? I know they're expensive but does it pay off long term?

makita dewalt trend hitachi all simmilar tools

in general double the price get 10% better
now my way of thinking having twice as many tools is more flexible and useful than the supposed best but i dont thrash my tools to death i look after them :D

Thanks. I have a cheap makita router and there is some wobble in the router bit when at its extents which is going to be unacceptable in what im doing. I was hoping the festool would be much better?

Perhaps its just that my choice of makita was bad though -model 3620. I just needed something basic and light at that point...

a router cutter must be 1/3 out 2/3 in the collet give or take 5mm and no more
you will need a 1/2" router to get full use out off the table
all cutters that need a table need a 1/2" with few exceptions

Sorry but yeah im aware the makita i have isnt suitable for a table. I just mean my makita has a wobble and didnt know if that was because its a bad makita or makita are like that... Or all routers are like that and im being too fussy!

Ideally, I need something that will be absolutley precise and wondered if that would be a festool.

are you understanding the 1/3 out rule as in there is no adjustment on the router cutter on insertion the distance between cutter and securing nut will always be the same 1/3 shaft visible??
another point is a maximum half cutter shaft per cut so a 6.35mm will give you a 3.2mm maximum depth off cut
you can stretch it slightly as in 10mm would be done in 3 passes off 3.35mm but no more than 3.5 unless you know what your doing [moulded cutters for example]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back