router help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys please help
is a straight cut 1/4" shaft the same as a 1/2" worktop cutting bit?

As the routher i have is only a 1/4" 3/8"
So cant use a 1/2" worktop cutting bit!!!!!!!
im planning to get a trend unibase to fit to it so i can use a 30mm bush.
With 900mm worktop jig for mason miters.

I can only find 1/2" worktop cutting bits but they look the same as a straight twin flute bit???

want to use a 1/4" TCT 16mm + 20mm straight cutter with a 30mm bush on a jig can it be done this way???

Sponsored Links
Hi cannonfoder

I can't see any way of doing it in the way you suggest. You have to use a 12.7 mm worktop bit in a 1/2 inch heavy duty router. If you were to obtain a cutter with a 1/4 shank, it would not have the cutting depth. Nor would a small router have enough plunge depth, or sufficient power.

I can only find 1/2" worktop cutting bits but they look the same as a straight twin flute bit???
They are the same - but the cutter must be 1/2 inch. If you use a straight cutter of different diameter with a worktop jig, the cut will be in the wrong place.

want to use a 1/4" TCT 16mm + 20mm straight cutter with a 30mm bush on a jig can it be done this way???
Not possible, wrong diameter and far too short.
Worktop cutters must be at least the full depth of the worktop being cut, as the final pass has to be the full depth of the worktop, which would typically be 40 or 50mm.

Sponsored Links
These mitres only apply to post formed countertops, you can do away with them by using square edge tops and mitred hardwood edging, or cut them by hand, which is easier than you would think.
With a 3/8" straight bit and a suitable bush, cut the upper face laminate of the top about 1/4" to 3/8" deep to provide a guide line to follow, then either with a hand saw or jig saw set a few degrees past right angle, so that you marginally undercut from the routed edge. You'll then have to cut the curve by hand, no big shakes if you take your time.
A jig and router are only worthwhile when you do these repeatedly, otherwise the set up time and cost defeats the purpose, in my opinion...pinenot :)

Agree with Pinenot , I don't do many so don't own a jig and do mine by hand. I sometimes use a straightedge and a top bearing cutter in the router and also have a small belt sander which is good for those small adjustments that would take the edge off a plane.

i just cut mine by hand.and i do own a jig.just never used it or been around anyone else using 1.
:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back