Router size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am going to tackle mitring new worktops for my kitchen. The advice I have read so far suggests using a 1/2 inch router and straight blade. My father has a router I was hoping to use to save money but he has told me his is a 1/4 inch. Is it true routers come in different sizes meaning I will have to source one from somewhere else. Thanks in anticipation of a reply. Allan

Sponsored Links
You will need 1/2" for sure. Minimum of 1600 watts, but more is better. You might get away with less if you are using el cheapo 28mm worktops.

If it's just for the one job, or very occasional use, there's a bloke on eBay sells 1/2" Erbauer routers for under 40 notes

yes you definatly need 1600w + 1/2" to do more than the odd worktop

although you can get 1/4" worktop cutters you would need in excess off 1000w or cut at 2mm passes requireing more than one cutter joint

the ryobi er1150 is actualy a 1/2" router although the blurb dosnt make that clear in other words its a 1/4 inch router that can take 1/2" cutters but very underpowerd for larger applications

Lisboa - if money's tight just hire the tackle but use a NEW cutter; you can also hire the worktop jig (but check for good condition). Practice on off-cuts or get a couple of bits of 12mm ply.

Sponsored Links
It money's tight, you can use a 1/4 inch router with a good quality, long reach bit, provided that you don't try to remove too much material in one pass. Do most of the cutting with, for example, a jigsaw then finish with the necessary router passes.

It may not be ideal but if you've got patience and don't overstress the tool it's doable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back