Lock mitre cutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,

I decided to cover my newel
Posts in 3/4 inch oak, I've looked at a few methods of joining the external corners but nothing appeals more than the Lock Mitre Cutter "which I've never used"
Is there a specific size cutter I need for 3/4 inch material?
I've got 1/2 inch router and the trend router table am just not sure what size cutter I need?
Any help would be brilliant, regards Chirpy.

Sponsored Links
Trends lock mitre jointer cutters range from 8mm- 12mm and 15mm - 25mm.
Not cheap at nearly £60 quid for the larger one and they say cannot be re-sharpened.

Only one side is actually locked. The other side relies on glue strength though granted the surface area is increased.
Accurate 45 degree on a track saw will give you the same result I would have thought. Some glue and a few panel pins?
Or a biscuit jointer?

Last edited:
Cheers Roger298,

The stock I am using is either 4 inches or 5 inches wide, I've got a Makita Rail saw and rails and I know from experience that the rails don't balance well on these widths. Equally the lengths are to short or long to use the clamps so any play will create problems. But that said in principle it's good idea, just not in this application.

I'm not concerned with the cost of the cutter I'd rather spend more to get a brilliant finish than spend less and get a possibly sub standard finish, I am "AR" after all and anything less than near perfect will do my head in.

To digress, I am assuming I'd need the larger cutter then?

Thank you, Chirpy

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back