Preparing mitre joints in oak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm seeking advice from seasoned woodwurmers here. I'm planning to fit solid oak treads ( 170 x 20mm ) onto a Bath stone step between two rooms - which was once the base of a 135º bay window. I'm planning to join the mitre-joints using a Kreg 'pocket hole' jig and s/t screws. Naturally, I want to cut the mitre-joints 'exactly', and am uncertain how best to mark up and cut them to avoid splintering and 'breakout'.

Now, I have a sliding mitre saw with a fresh general purpose 210 x 2.8mm blade. I also have a couple of routers, a new small router table, and a box of new Chinese t/c cutters.

What does the team suggest 'for best' as to marking up, course cutting, then fine exact cutting of the mitres - to avoid damaged wood? .....and any other sound advice.

Sponsored Links
Depending on the quality and accuracy of your saw that should do the job, if you cut with the board face up the splinters will be on the base/back.

Alternatively you can cut the boards with a few mm to spare, clamp a straight edve to your cut line and use a flush bit in the router to trim the board. Working from the front edge to the rear this will give a better finish than the saw provided your cutters are decent and you are able to use the router without wobble.

As for marking out you can lay one piece of board over the other and mark where they cross at the back and front, then join these two points to get your cut line but a bit of trial and error will be needed.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back