routers - where to get a Convex edging bull nose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am A TOTAL beginner in DIY so I new some good help.
I intend to make some nice shelves for my daughter and want to buy a specific router bits to complete my project. So far, no luck. I can not find the bit I want to buy in UK using the internet.

The bit I want is called: Convex edging bull nose, half radius, 2-flute

A picture of it is available in this site: http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/...se.htm?L+coastest+yhkh4749ffc552c5+1099624411

If anybody knows where I can find this router bit, please let me know.

Thanks

fred

Moved as originally posted in WRONG FORUM (wood /carpentry)

Sponsored Links
frederico. That cutter is called a 'staff bead' cutter.
Trend sell 4 of them in their craftsman range rads 2mm, 2.8mm, 3.6mm & 5.2mm codes C067, C068, C069, C070.
They do larger radii in the professional range but that gets expensive. from £40 to £87 plus VAT.
Just go to the top Trend page Big All put and type in those codes.

Dewy your looking at the wrong cutter, the one he wants is half way down the page.

Trend do one almost the same on their professional range, number 9A/1 at a bit over £50.00.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Frederico, I think Trend cutters are expensive. I've used several cutters from Data, and they seem to be very good - and 2/3 the price. Phone them up and get a catalogue 0845 2300299. They seem to have every conceivable shape: see www.datapowertools.co.uk

I think the one you're after is £17 plus £1.40 delivery via First Class post.

Looking at the bit again you could get the same effect by using the bottom half of a 18mm rounding over bit used from both sides, OK the radius will be 1.4mm larger but it will hardly show assuming you are using 18mm thick shelves.

Jason

thanks you for your replies. they are very helpful. It seems I could probably do the work with a the bottom half of a round over bit indeed. however, being a MEGA beginner (never routed before), I do not know how I am gonna get that kind of accuracy. I have been reading quite a bit about routing but there are still a lot of grey areas, especially when it comes to adjust precisely the router and the wood. That's why I was looking for a bit that can do the full job in one pass.

It looks like there are not that many people selling router bits in the UK over the internet, in comparison with the US. That's a shame.

Anyway, if you know where I can find a GREAT manual about routing, please let know.

the accuracy comes from holding the router squarely

the bearing runs on the edge of the wood gives you the width of the cut
the depth is set by plunging and locking to the correct depth before even plugging in the machine
its a much easier operation using a roundover bit just make shure the radius is 1 or 2 mm LESS than half the thickness of the wood so if your wood is 21mm thick then a 9.5 radius would give you the nearest to a continuous radius

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back