Routing - Difference between a rabbet and rebate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm new to routing, but want to learn some of the terminology to understand more about the types of cuts etc.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a rabbet and a rebate? I've heard both terms used but without explanation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

R.

Sponsored Links
I'm new to routing, but want to learn some of the terminology to understand more about the types of cuts etc.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a rabbet and a rebate? I've heard both terms used but without explanation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

R.

the same different name :D

A rabbet is what the joiner calls it.

A rebate is what the architect calls it.

A rabbet is also tasty casseroled with onions and carrots. A rebate is what the poor people get off paying their council tax.

Sponsored Links
Rabbet :a term often used in wooden boat building ,the 90 deg groove where the planking joins the keel

A rabbet is what the joiner calls it.

A rebate is what the architect calls it.

A rabbet is also tasty casseroled with onions and carrots. A rebate is what the poor people get off paying their council tax.

a re-bate is what i call it,and im a chippy.

a rabbet is what my missus keeps doing. :rolleyes: earache.

a re-bate is what i call it,and im a chippy.
Me too. The Yanks call 'em rabbits or rabbets. I had a look in some old sales bumf today, Stanley no. 78 Duplex REBATE plane (1984 catalogue), but Record No. 073 RABBET plane (1939 leaflet). Shows how the language is changing.........

Is it woodworking rabbets that dig them little holes you find in old wood? :)

I always thought that "rabbet" was the American way of saying it. (Looks like I was wrong)

Bit like the "clamp" "cramp" thing though I suppose.

It's an old term for screwdriver - some of the older guys usd to use it when I started.

Bit like the "clamp" "cramp" thing though I suppose.
Or turnscrew?

Turnscrews must have a few different meanings Iv'e got a brace bit for screwdriving as a definition

Funny thing different words for stuff. I always thought of a "turnscrew" as being something to "turn screws" that isn't a dedicated screwdriver. Like a multitool.
There a "Lovejoy" episode where part of the story revolves around a "turnscrew" (IIRC) from the box of a pair of flintlock pistols. Watched them again recently and from what you can see (again IIRC) it's a sort of double ended screwdriver.
You can't beat those brace bits for big screws in hard wood though! (Although to be fair I've never tried an impact driver)

Although to be fair I've never tried an impact driver
They have their uses - but hardwood isn't one of them unless you have an adjustable torque model like the Makita or panasonic 3-speeders

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back