Routing network cable - is this quote okay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am comfortable with setting up and wiring networks internally, but am not confident in drilling through external walls and ceilings.

So I got a network/CCTV person to give me a quote for routing the cable around my house. Note - I will provide all the network cables and will to the terminations myself, I just want the cable routed around the house.

I asked for a quote for the following (and he came to my house to evaluate the job):

I want to route network cable throughout my house, but I am not confident in routing it through walls and ceilings/floors (with carpet).

I need someone to drill the holes and push the network cable through them, from:
1) From living room (through to the outside wall) into kitchen
2) From living room (through to the outside wall) into bedroom on 1st floor
3) From bedroom (through the ceiling) to carpeted home office above

I have bought the Cat6a cables (interior and exterior), RJ45 plugs, etc. and will configure these myself. I can also tack the cables and fit the wall boxes.

For all this, he quoted £265.

I also asked for a separate quote for running a cable from my house to the garage (a 'nice to have' for me). He said it would take 2 hours, and he quoted £70 for this.

So he is charging £35/hour, meaning he is estimating 7.5 hours for tasks 1-3.

My thinking is that tasks 1 and 2 will be quick - drilling 3 holes through external walls. Task 3 will take a bit longer (30/60/90 mins?) as it's drilling through a bedroom ceiling, up into my carpeted home-office.

What do you think?

Also, should I ask how he would drill the holes? I've watched videos on YouTube that state that you should drill through the brick (not the mortar), so need to drill from the external wall, into the house (not from the inside out).

If this quote is too high, I will ask someone else for a quote. What type of trades-person should I ask for a quote? https://www.ratedpeople.com/ has categories like 'electrician' (which is what I chose). Should I choose another (cheaper?) trade. I don't need any electrical/network expertise, just someone who can drill holes and push the cable through them.

Attachments

• 20221108_111049.jpg
    20221108_111049.jpg
    474.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20221108_110934.jpg
    20221108_110934.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 46
  • 20221108_110901.jpg
    20221108_110901.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 20221108_110846.jpg
    20221108_110846.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20221108_110825.jpg
    20221108_110825.jpg
    480.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 20221108_110451.jpg
    20221108_110451.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20221108_110420.jpg
    20221108_110420.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 20221108_110157.jpg
    20221108_110157.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 20221108_110002.jpg
    20221108_110002.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
Unlikely.
There will almost certainly be a minimum amount for any work, plus a certain amount per hour.
Adding something extra won't be priced in the same way, as they are already there.
Another factor is that over a certain amount of time you will be quoted for a full day, even if that time isn't actually a full day as they won't be able to do another job that day in the time remaining.
Yet another is that you doing half the work and expecting someone else to do the rest on the cheap probably won't work either. It's like buying a dog and barking yourself.

What do you think?
Either accept the quote or obtain others.
If you get others, obtain them from people who can handle cables properly. Network cables are easily damaged by improper installation.

hes not really quoting based on some hour rate , it will be based on the day , number of people, my stepsons father just paid for him to have replacement wall lights and centre lights - cost £215
took the guy 1.5 hours to do the job

he has to travel to and from the job, may not get a job that day - petrol, also having the right tools etc

try other quotes , but you need someone recommended
not sure it will get that much cheaper , depending on where you are - I'm just seeing silly prices now , trades have so much work .
One plumbing charged £400 a day plus vat locally

What type of trades-person should I ask for a quote? https://www.ratedpeople.com/ has categories like 'electrician' (which is what I chose). Should I choose another (cheaper?) trade. I don't need any electrical/network expertise, just someone who can drill holes and push the cable through them.
Those sort of websites should be avoided. Generally those trades persons who are not good enough to get personal recommendations pay to go on them. Whether that applies to that particular site I don't know.

Sponsored Links
Those sort of websites should be avoided. Generally those trades persons who are not good enough to get personal recommendations pay to go on them. Whether that applies to that particular site I don't know.
I can't dispute that at all, I'm not awarehow traders get on some sites, however I have received several calls for people using such sites for work completely unrelated to what I do, I found I'd been listed on Checkatrade as white goods repairs and another (forgotten which) site as domestic cleaner repairs and domestic cleaning.

Really annoying thing is neither site had a clue how I'd got listed... So much for GDPR.

In my opinion, you are likely to get a proper job done by an experienced ELECTRICIAN, as long as he knows/is told where the cables have to go.

An experienced electrician should be experienced enough to do a neat job, hiding cables where possible. I don't know for sure if CCTV/network blokes agonise over hiding cables or doing a superbly neat job in the way some electricians might - obviously it most definitely depends on the individual.

In your position I'd let him do the whole job for that money and I'm sure he'd prefer that as well.

You need the job to be done neatly and discretely. Some of the work description indicates to me that there will be floors (and carpets) to lift. I'm sure they will be better placed to do that.

If he lays the cable and you do the ends, and if when you test it if it does not work then he will claim it's your ends and he has not introduced a fault into the cable.
Either do it all yourself (and really - this is not that hard) or pay someone else to do it all.
Just be clear in specifying exactly what you want doing.

Yes, avoid a potential crock of poo and get him to do the lot.

If he lays the cable and you do the ends, and if when you test it if it does not work then he will claim it's your ends and he has not introduced a fault into the cable.
Either do it all yourself (and really - this is not that hard) or pay someone else to do it all.
Just be clear in specifying exactly what you want doing.
Good thinking, network cable is pretty fragile stuff, it’s not like twin and Earth.

Its not a cable Id want to to push / pull around tight bends etc etc.

I am comfortable with setting up and wiring networks internally, but am not confident in drilling through external walls and ceilings.

So I got a network/CCTV person to give me a quote for routing the cable around my house. Note - I will provide all the network cables and will to the terminations myself, I just want the cable routed around the house.

I asked for a quote for the following (and he came to my house to evaluate the job):

For all this, he quoted £265.

I also asked for a separate quote for running a cable from my house to the garage (a 'nice to have' for me). He said it would take 2 hours, and he quoted £70 for this.

My thinking is that tasks 1 and 2 will be quick - drilling 3 holes through external walls. Task 3 will take a bit longer (30/60/90 mins?) as it's drilling through a bedroom ceiling, up into my carpeted home-office.

What do you think?

Also, should I ask how he would drill the holes? I've watched videos on YouTube that state that you should drill through the brick (not the mortar), so need to drill from the external wall, into the house (not from the inside out).

If this quote is too high, I will ask someone else for a quote. What type of trades-person should I ask for a quote? https://www.ratedpeople.com/ has categories like 'electrician' (which is what I chose). Should I choose another (cheaper?) trade. I don't need any electrical/network expertise, just someone who can drill holes and push the cable through them.
You appear to be proposing to run "Network" Cable between Specific Points.

If so, this is not a Network.

All cables should run to a Network Hub, so that they can be interconnected via a Patch Panel, as required.
This also allows the installation of a central "Switch".

Also, (apart from incoming cables) at least two cables should be run to each "Point" - to allow for future uses, as yet unknown!

What do you think?
I think you should buy a drill. Anyone who is adept enough to wire an RJ45 plug is adept enough to learn how safe zones work and hold a spinning metal rod in the same place on a wall for 10 minutes.

Have you considered trying out a power line Ethernet solution first?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back