Routing new cable to CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI, Bit bored at work here so thought id send a little post and hopefully some one will have some good info on what is the best way to overcome routing a new cable to a CU.
Scenario:- fitting security lights outside, CU has spare way so thought ideal place to use :)
lifts floor boards upstairs and saw nice little bundle of existing wiring running down to CU.
Bloody impossible to feed another cable down :cry: and even if i did manage it when it gets to the approx place of the CU it comes out the wall at 90 degrees so i just give up and spurred of a ring main.
still, there must be some tricks out there.
Anybody any good suggestions :D

Sponsored Links
Fine fibre rods, then feed a draw wire and the pull through the cable.

The rods have some flex in them and they should help keep the cable route.

I'd assume that sine the cable runs via the 1st floor, and your are already in the void between 1st boards and grd floor ceiling, that the cable access to ground floor is via a stud wall chamber or some box work.

If so, then you should be able to enlarge the access by either breaking some more plaster (if the access is ceiling) or carefully drilling through the obstical / joist / beam near to the existing access.

Boxing in is always larger than the access it covers and a stud wall will have 350-400mm of void between the verts.

Sponsored Links
Cut rectangular holes as necessary in floors and ceilings.

Screw galvanised trunking to the walls.

Job done.

:LOL:

Hi

Attach a 'draw' wire to an existing cable and pull it up, this may however end up with you having the same problem, but with 2 cables now, when the draw wire snags or comes adrift !!! :LOL: :LOL: , in which case the galv trunking BAS suggested should be just the ticket. :eek:

Ed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back