Cable routing in new Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm replacing an old CU and have a cable length issue. The incoming circuits to the current board have the live terminals entering the bottom of the old MCBs. Most boards have top entry for supply side, and the lives will not reach (Neutral and earth is no problem) if routing in a bundle to the side of the DIN rail.

I could use crimps inside the CU, but that is something I'd want to avoid if possible. There is no space for a connector strip, or JBs outside the CU, as the wiring comes through the wall only an inch or so from the CU.

My question is: is there any reason why I shouldn't route the lives behind the din-rail, as there is plenty of space to do so (and then they will reach the top of the MCB easily enough), or must they be bunched to one side when using a bottom-entry point on the CU.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can install to the cables from bottom, side, top or from the back.
Providing the sheath of cable enters the enclosure by at least 10mm, no stress on conductors and the IP ratings of entry points are compliant.
Is there a problem reposition your unit and going in from the back?

Afraid so - the cables come through the underside of an alcove, so it's bottom entry or nothing. . . any lower, and the board would overhand the alcove.

The entry would be fine - the CU is rated for bottom entry, and sheathing is well inside - it's the insulated live core that would pass behind the DIN Neutrals and Earth cores would take the normal route around the side.

Providing your phase tail conductor is insulated and sheathed there should be no problems. I assume this is a new CU not an old replacement?
And even though the MI states suitable for bottom entry, the entry knock outs still needs to be compliant to IP2X.
If you can upload and post some pictures of what you have and cable positions, there maybe alternatives or better advise to be offered.

Sponsored Links
Is that a 2.5 on the 32A breaker on the far right?

What does this feed?

Who installed it like that?

It's a fairly new install on harmonised cable...

It is a 2.5, feeding some underfloor heating. I've disconnected since this picture was taken . . . Think it was wired to a 32, as no available 16. Another reason why the board is being replaced. Can't get replacement MCBs.

Any view on passing the insulated core behind the DIM - basically in a straight line from the entrance point to the CU?

it's the insulated live core that would pass behind the DIN Neutrals and Earth cores would take the normal route around the side.

May be neater to take all 3 cores up behind the dinrail, thats one of the reasons it is spaced off the back plate.

Ensure the bare earths are well sleeved so as too prevent accidental contact with any exposed liveparts [busbar] though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back