Routing rpm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could some please tell me what rpm I should run when routing 40mm laminate worktop? Using Freud 1/2" , at full rpm it destroys cutters in no time- Ive seen sparks, I gues from bits of screws and **** that s in the chipboard. I'm guessing the low end loses cut quality. Should I buy new cutter for every job? Is sharpenning worthwhile? i have plenty of blunt ones! Never been really happy with my mitres- any tips/rcomendations gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
How tight should the bolts be? Silicone and colour fill? Biscuits? Finnishing edge strips- file or router? thanks ;)

Full speed, expect a router cutter to last for one joint, thats two actual cuts.

I find it works out cheaper to use a cutter that takes replacable tips, works out about £4 a joint. Not worth sharpening as it reduces the diameter of the bit and the jig will be off.

Quite tight, Colourfil, No biscuits, block plane & file

Jason

so there are no aplications for slower rpm? i am using very heavy/powerful machine- jus wondered why it will practicly spin slowly! oh, im using a uni base to mount collet- is this not the corect path to be on? thanks router friend!

Sponsored Links
Reduced speeds are used for larger diameter bits, because otherwise the resulting peripheral speed of the bit would be too high.

I'm not sure what you mean about mounting the 'collet' on a Unibase. Perhaps you mean a guide bush.

AS said larger the cutter dia - slower the speed. These big cutters are best used in a router table. If you have a look at Trend or Wealden Tools they give max rpm for their cutters

If you can get a guide bush that fits the actual router base it is better as the unibase increases the amount the cutter has to project out of the collet.

Jason

thanks jason, that seems to answer all my router related questions, just need to get up to speed on joints now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back