rover 214 tappets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a rover 214 p reg which has what sounds like tappet problems. I have been told that the tappets are self adjusting so what could be the problem? Also I was told that without regular oil changes this could damage the tappets unfortunately for me mine was about 8 months over due!

Sponsored Links
The problem could be lack of oil to the cylinder head caused by a build up of carbon and sludge due to oil and oil filter not being changed on a regular basis (yearly or 10,000 miles,whichever comes first).This would also reduce efficiency to the hydraulic lifters(tappets)and wear to the camshaft lobes.I would suggest that you get the "Haynes Manual" and read up on it.

;)

Sponsored Links
If the camshaft is noisy it's the camshaft you repair. Or more likely replace. If you don't know what the camshaft is or where it's located get some advice. It's not a job for the inexperienced. Mess it up and it could cost you an engine.

Before fixing what you only think needs fixing.Get a flushing additive for the engine and try flushing any crap out.If its still noisy seek advise or as suggested get the manual and read up on it, then decide what to do.
;)

Make sure you use the right oil after flushing too, dont just buy the cheapest on the shelf! Should think it will be 10w30 for that.

Sponsored Links
Back