Rover 45, front tyres rubbing off

Rover are wrong, how can the weight of a 1.4 all alu engine be the same as a heavy diesel engine?

Sponsored Links
I'd check the pressures with a decent quality tyre pressure gauge. Dial type gauges, particularly cheap ones, are notoriously inaccurate. I know the one on my plug in tyre pump is several psi out, and the one on a relatively new (cheap) inflator for the compressed air is even worse.

I used to stick 30 in my Astra all round, but that was before I read the manual, which said 34!

Shredded the inside of 4 tyres that way within about 20k before I thought to check. Now on Michelin's with 36 and doing much, much better.

I go with manufacturers recommendation + 2 as a general rule, the reasons being:

- Pressure gauges aren't exactly a certified item (anyone had there's calibrated recently?).
- Tyres may loose a bit of pressure between checks anyway.
- The temperature/weather changes too much to worry about how deviating slightly from the manufacturers settings will affect performance.
- From Corsa's to Focus's, I've heard of shoulder wear on all cars caused by keeping to the exact manufacturer's suggestion.

As for the rears, don't get me started. How many of us adjust them when going out? Mine's a difference of 8psi between a 2 man crew and a full load! How should I know how much my crap in the boot weighs? Is that another person? Should I adjust the pressures to be lop-sided when only I'm in there? I just put the same in as the front: eases the tension in the queue at Sainsbury's!

Sponsored Links
I've always put a lot more pressure in the fronts on heavy fronted cars, maybe I was a little over the top with 38, it's just the van is 52!!

Ive never had a problem.

Just a thought, if both front tyres are at the same pressure with the correct tracking alignment, then

correct pressure - they wear evenly

pressure to high - the tyre center wears off

pressure to low - inside and outside wear off together

I'm going to run the tyres at 32 psi and monitor them for any feathering on the edge tread.

So what should you expect, regarding wear, with too high or lower a pressure in the front tyres?

You get the wear patterns exactly as you have stated.
The extra weight of the diesel engine is accommodated by the spring rate, not the tyre pressures.....its really only heavy loading in the back of the vehicle that requires significant adjustment in pressures.
Naturally enough, everyone is entitled to play about with the tyre pressures - me, I stick with the manufacturers recommendation as hopefully they know more about it than me :p
2 psi either way won't make a happorth of difference, but it may just give you the edge on snow if the tyres are a little softer.
John :)

One thing I have noticed is that due to the weight of the 2.0 diesel engine, the front tyres bulge more at the bottom than the rear tyres yet the manual states 30 psi all round.

Pretty much par for the course, I think.....every vehicle is heavier at the front, diesel engine or not.
Lets know how you get on!
John :)

.............. and if I put the front tyres up a bit to lessen the bulge, perhaps the front tyres won't ride on the edges as much?

Strange original post says scrubs on outer edge now we are talking about remedial action to prevent wear on BOTH edges!!

Stop guessing get a 4 wheel alignment check carried out then you should know for certain where the problem lies.

Sponsored Links
Back