Front Tyres Wearing On Outside Tread

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One for the experts. My front wheels on my 2004 Scudo van are shod with cheap Chinky tyres. I've noticed that they are wearing the tread on the outside edges of the tread quicker than other areas. The previous tyres that were on the front wore evenly. Is there something wrong with my tracking, or is there another reason?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Probably worth having the tracking checked but cheapo tyres, especially if they are a few years old can wear irregularly.
If they have done 30k miles or more I wouldn't worry too much about it but if the mileage is low it's a tracking issue.
John :)

Thanks for your reply, John. The tyres aren't that old, and have covered less than 7,000 miles. When I had it MOT'd 2 weeks ago they mentioned it in the advisories so the tyres will soon be scrap. I notice that the tyres have worn quite quickly over the whole tread so maybe false economy. But the tread wear on the outside shoulder is quite noticeable.

These two front tyres also don't hold air as well as all other tyres I've had in the past. Buy cheap - buy twice! :(

When I had the tyres fitted, I got the tracking checked and they said it was OK. Only thing that's changed on the suspension in recent years is a new spring that I fitted to the offside front about 4 or 5 years ago.

Sponsored Links
The front spring change is unlikely to make any difference, assuming the track rod end wasn't adjusted in the process.
for sure, it sounds like your tyres were indeed budget if they are getting down at 7K!
John :)

Get the tracking checked - but when it is done make sure the steering rack is centralised!

had a similar problem on a related vehicle - garage that had done the tracking after a kerbing incident only adjusted one side. 4 sets of tyres later, each set worn out in under 13000 miles, a tyre place retracted the car with the rack set central - solved all the tyre wear probs.

It must have been tracked wrongly in the first place. Having the steering wheel set in the centre has no bearing on the alignment. It just won’t look right and the indicators may not cancel on slight changes of direction but that’s it.

Sponsored Links
Back