Rover 45, front tyres rubbing off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Diesel 2001 reg TDI

Had the car since 2004 and the front tyres have always rubbed off on the outside, the premature wear being annoying and a waste of good tyre.

I've had new tyres put on today and had the tracking checked which apparently is spot on.

Can anyone give me any hints on how to adjust the wheel camber perhaps?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Almost definitely still a tracking fault, unless the car has been in an accident - the tracking isn't readily adjustable on these.
How many miles are you getting out of a pair of tyres?
John :)

When I bought the car I noticed the two front tyres were off which help get the price down but when I had a security check done, there were no recorded accidents.

However a year later, my sister ran a red light in the car and the N/S front got hit. The car went in for repair, the collection driver telling the car would be jigged back to original alignment.

I'd say I get about 15k miles out of a set of tyres on the front although I'd get more if they didn't scrub off.

I'm not racer so I don't suffer from Gs that much when going round corners.

Sponsored Links
15k isn't a lot (for a decent quality tyre)......may I suggest someone else has a go at the tracking sometime - and keep the tyre pressures correct?

I would take it to somewhere that has the Hunter Hawk Eye, or similar, 4 wheel alignment equipment.

You will get a computer printout of ALL the wheel alignment angles. If adjustment is needed you will then get another printout afterwards.

Printout shows current measured angles and the error against the manufacturers recommendations.

Excessive negative camber (top of the wheel lying in towards the spring) will cause the inside of the tyre to wear. This can be caused by wear on the bottom suspension arm/joints? Camber will not show up on a standard tracking gauge, as above get it up onto a four wheel gauge.

I'll have a look at other garages and see what wheel alignment is available.

Even if it costs the price of a tyre to see where the fault is and get it fixed, it'll be worth it to save tyres in the future.

Thanks for the postings folks, I'll post how I get on.

Definitely check and maintain tyre pressures. Even a few psi down can lead to excessive wear on one side.

ref: Even a few psi down can lead to excessive wear on one side.

I assume this is because the a sagging tyre will cause the car to ride lower on one corner?

My Rover 45 TDI is 30 psi all round. I've got a portable air compressor that I keep in the boot, although I don't know how accurate the gauge is.

I found a garage who has Snap-On 3D alignment equipment.

I'd go for 38 at the front, 30 is too low, the 45 diesel is very heavy at the front.

ref: Even a few psi down can lead to excessive wear on one side.

I assume this is because the a sagging tyre will cause the car to ride lower on one corner?

My Rover 45 TDI is 30 psi all round. I've got a portable air compressor that I keep in the boot, although I don't know how accurate the gauge is.

I found a garage who has Snap-On 3D alignment equipment.

Are you saying your car is riding low on one corner?

ref: Are you saying your car is riding low on one corner?

No, I was just assuming that with a soft tyre, the reason a tyre would wear on the outside is because of the car suspension on that corner is riding low.

I keep the tyres at 30 psi cause that's what the Rover manual states.

As the tyres only wear on the outside, would the tyres running at 38 psi as recommended by xr4x4 above stop this?

If the tyre or tyres, are wearing on both outside edges, then it definitely is under inflated. But as you pointed out its on the inside edge, this points to bottom suspension bushes/wear, therefore excessive negative camber.

But unfortunately, like most things, its just not that cut and dry. So everything has to be checked.

Try an extra 5psi in the front, just be careful it isn't giddy on the corners.

Sponsored Links
Back