Royce Thompson P42

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 2 part photocell made by Royce Thompson, It's been 4 years since i wired one. Anyone wired one of these before and care to remind me.

Jake

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I invite you too look. All I've found is street lighting and people selling them. Royce Thompson them selfs Don't have it on their website.

Jake.

scan0002.gif

Sponsored Links
HI,

Thanks for that, but it appears my unit might be broken.

Jake

Hi I work in highway lighting most of the time so seen hundreds of P42 cells. Is it and old P42 or the newer P42-E you have ?

The old bases had 4 terminals L for Live C1 for the first cell wire Lo for the switched live ( load ) and N and C2 which are Neutral and the second cell wire

If replacing with a P42E then the two wire from the cell go to the plug on the relay either way round and a link is fitted in the base between C1 and C2

To test if the relay is switching simply disconnect on of the cell wires leaving the switch on AUto if it's ok it will switch on.

Hi,

It is the old type that i have. Yep i do have the 4 terminal base and thats the same way i wired it. It didn't work so then wire one part of the cell in L and the other in C1 this didn't work. So appears to have died.

The relays i have are Yellow and don't appear to have the terminal for the two pin terminal block like in the ER4N types.

I'm now thinking of finding some ER4N cells they are a lot easier to wire and fast to operate.

Thanks
Jake

The old P42 cells are the thermal type and if you open them up inside the relay is a bi-metallic strip. When you cover the cell eye over with a rag it can take upto around 3 mins for the cell to switch on.
Any chance of some pics of how you have wired the base ? May help me to help a bit more, Hundreds of these teo part cells still in use on Cheshire highways mainly on the old SOX lanterns, there also used on the high-mast lighting on Runcorn expressway to switch a contactor for the lighting rigs.

HI,

Yep they both have one opened and checked them.
Here are the pics of the set up- Please note this is still in design stage.

This is the wiring layout-

In the Live part of the base is a cable running from each fuse unit.
In C1 on the right is a Red and Brown wire . Brown is from the cell and Red links it.
In LO on the left does the Car park light and right is for the Up lighters.
In the N side is all the Neutrals.
In C2 is the Neutral from the cell.

Jake

Ah think i see where you have gone wrong you can share 1 cell eye between the two relays each requires its own cell.
Might be better to use just one P42 unit to switch a suitably rated contactor for the lighting load.

Also the relays and bases should be installed in a suitable enclosure.

Where did you get the charles en direct gear from ? them isolator units are normally fitted with double insulated tails and installed over the DNO cutout in a lamp column base.

HI,

Oh i was told by one of the maintenance guys like your self that you could do that. I will get a 2nd eye and put that up.

The enclosure is in the post.

I brought about 20 of them to fit up some columns when we get the money to buy some SWA.

Whys it Shoddy? The earth is a temp till i find a earthing block.

Jake

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back