RSJ Help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have the RSJ size however I need instructions of how to measure the length! How many mm am I adding on to the basic visible length to ensure I've calculated the amount of RSJ inserted into the wall?

I am confused.com and can't find any youtube videos to show me how to get the measurement. Once I have this I can finally order the RSJ and install it.

size 178x102x190

Sponsored Links
Normal lintel dims require 150mm contct area each side with a load bearing wall.

RSJ could be different and dependent on:

Load on RSJ
Material it will be sitting on
Lateral forces

As you're using an RSJ, is a structural engineer involved? What's the project for? is this for a dwelling or out building?

Fubar.

Hi fubar.

Yes my structural engineer gave me the RSJ size but instructed me to measure the length. Architect then told me minimum 100mm so do you recommend min 150mm?

I'm knocking down a load baring wall between the kitchen and lounge. I'm also placing another RSJ in the loft to secure a chimney breast which was removed but not supported. So this 2nd steel will sit ontop of the corner of the other one aparently however I presume there will be bricks in between? Unclear here aswell because I was then told about bolt sizes to connect the 2.

Thanks,
Katie

Perhaps, stop work ref the steels, and get your SE on site to explain, and do a brief sketch, to illustrate what he/she wants done.

What you describe is a point load and it requires a little more attention than just a bearing load.

FWIW: you could post pics of the situation as it is now?

Sponsored Links
Can't believe your SE would design you a beam and not tell you what bearing your require.

You will be fine however with 150x100mm bearing both ends as long as it is well bedded on decent semi-dry mortar.

Although, as others have said, you need your SE to give you a sketch of exactly what needs to be done.

As R.R and the others, the SE should have given you the minimum bearing length and padstone size for each end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back