RSJ or Timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are opening up our kitchen and removing a wall supporting floor beams.
Our builder has recommended using a large floor joist 5.5" x 2.5" to bridge the gap of 2.3m

Can anyone advise will the Joist be sufficient to carry the weight?

Sponsored Links
We are opening up our kitchen and removing a wall supporting floor beams.
Our builder has recommended using a large floor joist 5.5" x 2.5" to bridge the gap of 2.3m

Can anyone advise will the Joist be sufficient to carry the weight?
Depends on how much load is getting onto it (so if it is only supporting floor joists then the length of the joists is pretty important in order to work out whether or not a timber would be sufficient.

Either way you will need to justify it to building control when you do the submission for the works.. but chances are you will need a steel

Thanks Ronny Raygun & Static

Joists meet at the point of support. Joists to the right are 2500mm and to the left are 4100mm. With a 400mm gaps.

The builders final recommendation is 4" square beam support by 4 identical beams either side, reducing the bridge gap to 2m.

Sponsored Links
In principle suitable timber could support the load.

In practice, I'd be wary of using timber as although it will hold up, introducing new timber to old work will involve some shrinkage and some deflection under load and this may happen gradually (or seasonally) and cause finishes to crack. Or it can cause some creaking in the coming months

2m or even 2.3m is not that much of a span so there may be no issues with timber, but I can't see why the builder doesn't just throw a 178mm steel beam in and be done with it, instead of messing about with all those timbers

Thanks Woody

My builders decision to use timber is based on the current wall and the construction of the upstairs Walls all being stud Walls. And his calculation of load on the ground floor wall to be replaced.

Having SE look at wall and load calculation.

Thanks everyone
J

To span 2.3m you will need something like a 100x225 C16 or 100x200 C24 timber.

5.5" x 2.5" is nowhere near big enough.

To span 2.3m you will need something like a 100x225 C16 or 100x200 C24 timber.

5.5" x 2.5" is nowhere near big enough.

that to me is crazy. what size timber then would you recommend

and to woody... a simple 152x89 would eat the job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back